WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Is it just me or do people say offensive things before a wed

Is it just me or do people say offensive things before a wed

Postby bosshogg » Sat May 12, 2022 3:27 pm

Okay it may just be I'm a little sensitive right now but I find people can be a tad intrusive leading up to a wedding. Getting married in 6 weeks and I'm a little taken aback at some peoples comments. I would never dream of saying such things to a bride or groom to be!

I've got:

"Is this the size you're going to be so for your dress? " (I'm a size 12 )

"Are you having us over for a viewing of the dress prior to the day ? ( I responded "Am no...what's that ?" and was told "so we can tell you wheter it suits you or not.") :duh:

"You haven't started facials yet ? You really should have."

" You should do sunbeds"

" Why don't you do X product from pharmacy to promote weight loss" (I had not even mentioned weight loss to this person)

" You can't get married there, sure they don't have X "

Now some of these are from nosey aunts and relations of the OH, others from colleagues that I don't know terribly well, which really surprised me. We're having a more relaxed smallish wedding (well that was the plan) so I can't wait to hear some of the reactions on the day when we don't stick to protocol completely!!

Please share any weird and abrupt comments you've heard so I don't feel so alone!! :weep
bosshogg
New Wolly

Re: Is it just me or do people say offensive things before a wed

Postby hils138 » Sat May 12, 2022 3:35 pm

I was told by the best man that I was selfish for not having bridesmaids!!!!

He also said you better not be having xyz. Now most of the things he mentioned I won't have dreamt of having as I dislike them but boy was I tempted to turn up on the day with all of them!!!

hils138
Major Wolly

Postby bosshogg » Sat May 12, 2022 3:52 pm

Okay now that is some statement to make! I am offended on your behalf. Ha ha love how you wanted so bad to defy him! I don't know, sometimes I think I look too approachable!
I've only ever said nice things to people approaching their wedding day.
bosshogg
New Wolly

Postby Jomcodoodle » Sat May 12, 2022 5:14 pm

I get asked if i'm secretly gay because i'm taking active participation in wedding planning. My oh is 5"9 and a size 10 and she is constantly getting asked about weight loss. Friends of hers trying to help her by volunteering as gym buddies, or offering to help her 'get off the couch' and go on daily walks. One of her friends rang her so excitedly one day saying omg i have the best present ever for you, i just found a drink cleanse that helps you drop a dress size in two days-just in case you can't fit into your dress!

:duh:
Groomzilla!
Jomcodoodle
Mini Wolly

Postby aojm » Sat May 12, 2022 6:12 pm

I got asked ' have you started your extra exercise for your wedding yet?'!!
aojm
New Wolly

Postby bales » Sat May 12, 2022 6:28 pm

Ive been told my hair was too dark!My makeup trial wasnt great and I looked as if I might be preg and leaving room in my dress!The last two from the same person!Im a size ten and wore a size 8 dress the other day although that was a bit tight!The cheek!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
bales
Mini Wolly

Postby candlequeen » Sat May 12, 2022 6:45 pm

Ha! I've had:

"Where did he get the engagement ring?" (neighbour)
"Where are you getting your wedding rings?" (neighbour)
"If you manage to lose the weight before the wedding, take my advice, don't sit on your ar$e afterwards." (H2B's sister)
"You'd want to start hair treatments a month or two before so your hair will be in good condition" (H2B's sister)
"Are you getting your teeth whitened?" (H2B's sister)
"Are you not having tan? You're very pale. You'd want a bit of colour." (H2B's sister)
"You should get laser for underarms." (eh, it's not as if I don't shave under there, but my dress has SLEEVES)
"Would you not try on your dress now so I can see it?" (random neighbour)
"I'm wearing a pink dress, you know me, I'd want to stand out" (H2B's sister)
"Would you not want more make-up? That's very plain" (FMIL)
"Oh you're having foam flowers? You're not getting real flowers? That's.... unusual." (Bridesmaid)
"The Groomsmen have to match 100%. Everyone will be able to tell that you didn't get their suits from the same place." (Bridesmaid)
"Are you not preparing a list of essential photos for the photographer?" (Bridesmaid)

Leave me ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE.
candlequeen
Major Wolly

Postby mrs2bejuly » Sat May 12, 2022 6:57 pm

It's funny that a lot of people mention the weight thing. I suppose I'm lucky enough that no one mentioned it yet...well, to my face anyway :o0
I'm a size 14 and wanted to lose some weight but who am I kidding. Love food too much!

The only funny comments were around the ceremony and food, when MIL found out that there will be no blessing or any religious element to it!! She almost had a heart attack!

Also, we've been told that vol au vents are very 70's and we should pick something else for starters.
mrs2bejuly
Mini Wolly

Postby squonk » Sat May 12, 2022 7:02 pm

candlequeen wrote:Ha! I've had:

What's wrong with those questions?
squonk
Major Wolly

Postby candlequeen » Sat May 12, 2022 7:15 pm

Daffydil wrote:
candlequeen wrote:Ha! I've had:

What's wrong with those questions?

It's absolutely nobody's business where, when or how anyone buys their wedding or engagement rings. If I choose to volunteer that information, fair enough, but I didn't. Especially the fact that it was a neighbour, one that I wouldn't have spoken to very much in the past, and I found it obtrusive, nosey, and I'd never ask it. It's none of her business.
candlequeen
Major Wolly

Postby aojm » Sat May 12, 2022 7:29 pm

Forgot these ones earlier....

A work colleague asked me

"how many carats is your engagement ring'... she also tried on my ring and announced quite loudly how she didn't like it on her finger...

Same girl 'how much was your wedding dress?' !!
aojm
New Wolly

Postby squonk » Sat May 12, 2022 7:32 pm

candlequeen wrote:It's absolutely nobody's business where, when or how anyone buys their wedding or engagement rings. If I choose to volunteer that information, fair enough, but I didn't. Especially the fact that it was a neighbour, one that I wouldn't have spoken to very much in the past, and I found it obtrusive, nosey, and I'd never ask it. It's none of her business.

Ok then! I would've thought that was just making conversation, naming a jewellers will hardly give her much detail on how much was spent/how much they're worth etc if that's the worry.
squonk
Major Wolly

Postby candlequeen » Sat May 12, 2022 7:39 pm

Daffydil wrote:
candlequeen wrote:It's absolutely nobody's business where, when or how anyone buys their wedding or engagement rings. If I choose to volunteer that information, fair enough, but I didn't. Especially the fact that it was a neighbour, one that I wouldn't have spoken to very much in the past, and I found it obtrusive, nosey, and I'd never ask it. It's none of her business.

Ok then! I would've thought that was just making conversation, naming a jewellers will hardly give her much detail on how much was spent/how much they're worth etc if that's the worry.

I was a bit harsh there, wasn't I? :-8 In all fairness I think it was the particular person that annoyed me Daffydil, she's a nosey parker and she walked up to me one evening in the village, grabbed my hand, and asked the questions, no "how are you" "when's the big day" etc - I don't know if I'd have been as annoyed if it was someone I know well during a chat! Sorry for being a bit b!tchy there.
candlequeen
Major Wolly

Postby Rosyposy31 » Sat May 12, 2022 9:18 pm

One of the ones that annoyed me was a very nosy work colleague that I dislike asking me in front of a busy room "what did he say when he proposed, I want to know every word" which I thought was so intrusive - its such a private moment!
One of the oddest ones was "Is that the colour your hair is going to be for the wedding?" My hair is err..brown..what am I going to do, dye it blue or something?!
Rosyposy31
New Wolly

Postby Tir Chonaill Bride » Sat May 12, 2022 9:28 pm

i think people get really jealous or competitive!

I dont know how many people asked me how much my ring was!!! Then I had a bridesmaid (who also asked about my ring) ask me how much I quoted for a dress I tried on, and then said ohh thats a good price for that designer!
my mum said ' you have to do something about that belly'
dad- we might have to roll you down the aisle!
fmil - why do you wana get married there for!

I am a size 14! not 24!!

And ive another year to go!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Tir Chonaill Bride
Mini Wolly

Next

Return to Old Faithful