Discussion

WeddingsOnline.ie Discussion Forums - Feedback

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline.ie discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Any feedback on Castle Durrow?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Weddings Online Forums Forum Index -> Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarhar101
New Wolly

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Any feedback on Castle Durrow?

I've been checking out their website today; it looks like a fabulous venue and has amazing grounds. Wondered if any of you have either had a wedding or attended one there.

Also, does anyone know if they conduct blessings there? Have requested a brochure, but still waiting to hear. Any info would be really appreciated! 8)
Westielover
New Wolly

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Was at a wedding there last Feb and it was fantastic! Food was amazing. Restaruant standard, you know the way sometimes at large weddings the food is very carvery -ish.
Rooms were amazing too and the function room was gorgeous.
My friend whose wedding it was said that they trated them like they were the only wedding ever!!!
Youagain
Mini Wolly

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Really fab venue. Was guest at a wedding there. ONe of top venues in Ireland (as their prices indicate!) Don't know about blessing on grounds, but their is a little church which is very pretty about 1 mile away.
BlushingB
Royal Wolly

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject:

I was at a wedding there a few years ago, it was absolutely beautiful, a really stunning place.
I was having a flick through Confetti the other day (far too near my own big day to bother with wedding mags now, really) and there was a 'real weddings' article on the place. Some couple seemed to be getting a blessing ceremony done there.

Please sign this http://www.ceasefirecampaign.org/mo/en.html
sarhar101
New Wolly

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for that, I'll see if I can dig out the article on the Confetti site. It would be lovely if they did do blessings. Oh, and good luck for next week, BlushingB! ;)
Bridezilla07
Royal Wolly

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject:

Was at a wedding there about 4 weeks ago! Very nice indeed, although the staff were a bit snooty and everyone got chucked out of the residence bar waaay to early - I think it was before 3.30am!! We were a well behaved bunch too! Nobody was impressed with that! Food was lovely though and the castle itself is very nice indeed!
CityGirl
New Wolly

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Hi sarhar101

Theres a CoI chapel in the grounds (at the bottom of the main driveway), you can use that for a blessing, its quite small but really quaint and beautiful or if you are planning to have the legal part done before in a registry office, then you can have the blessing in the Castle itself.
brickingit
Royal Wolly

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject:

H2B's brother got married there last year. Fab venue, food was amazing especially the rhubarb crumble Yumm Yumm.

sarhar101
New Wolly

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Ooh, very excited now! Great to hear about an on-site chapel. Wonder how they would feel about a non-religious blessing ceremony being conducted there? That would really be the icing on the cake!

Disappointed to hear that the staff were a bit snooty. For the amount they charge, you'd want friendly service! Looking forward to investigating further!

Don't suppose anyone has any photos? Thought I'd chance my arm and ask! :)
bride2007
New Wolly

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I think Kilkea Castle in Castledermot is nicer than Durrow Castle. My sister looked at both and Kilkea was superb.....not sure if that's any good to you!

Skippy
Mini Wolly

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject:

I had my wedding there this summer just gone.

They were fantastic, very professional but you would expect that for the amount you pay. I had to organise every part of my wedding from overseas but the Hotel was one the part I never had any worries about from the word go. You certainly get what you pay for.

They are very strict on the residents bar, if you are not staying at the castle you will not get in. None of the staff were snotty to my guests and my guests stayed in the residents bar until 4.am, which is the time they told us it would stay open to. They won't budge on this but in fairness if people don't have enough drink in them by 4am then they have a serious problem!

The grounds are amazing but if it happens to rain on your day indoors is fantastic for photos too.

Sounds like I work from them but I don't!
sarhar101
New Wolly

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject:

Congratulations Skippy! Did you get married near to the Castle, or in the CoI chapel? I got an email last night from Durrow to say that they conduct blessings in the drawing room, but it only holds 60 people. They also do outdoor blessings for a larger number of people, but that's so weather dependent - I certainly wouldn't depend on the Irish sunshine!
Skippy
Mini Wolly

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject:

I am from the area so was able to get married close by in my own church.

Do you not want a religious ceremony? If you do you can ask any of the churches around if you can have your ceremony there. I am sure they would oblige.

Where will you be legally married if you only have a blessing at CD?

Sorry if I am being a bit nosy, just interested, as at the time we were booking (Dec 2004) I was worried that my local church would not let my hubby marry in it as he is a non-catholic so at the time I was interested in other places to get married that weren't a church. Back then the law was that the place you got married in had to be licenced and CD did not have that licence yet.

As far as I can tell the whole idea of people being able to marry in places other than a reg office or church has still to be sorted out.
sarhar101
New Wolly

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject:

No, the law still hasn't changed (yet, although the Government keep threatening to!), so we'll be doing the legal stuff in the Registry Office either that morning or the day before.

I'd quite like to have the traditionalism of the ailse walking with your dad (with me in a fabulous dress, obviously!), the groomsmen in suits, bridesmaid and all the vows, but not the God bit, so looking to have basically a non-denominational service, without the religious readings.

Basically, it's a wanting a cake and eating it situation! ;)
Smugmarried
Mini Wolly

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
No, the law still hasn't changed (yet, although the Government keep threatening to!), so we'll be doing the legal stuff in the Registry Office either that morning or the day before.

I'd quite like to have the traditionalism of the ailse walking with your dad (with me in a fabulous dress, obviously!), the groomsmen in suits, bridesmaid and all the vows, but not the God bit, so looking to have basically a non-denominational service, without the religious readings.

Basically, it's a wanting a cake and eating it situation! ;)

Wow - good luck with finding a religious venue that will let you have that!! :shock:

Brooklodge in Wicklow have a non-consecrated church on their site - a church (CoI or Catholic) would have to be non-consecrated in order for you to have a non-religious ceremony afaik. Open to corrections, ladies.

Weddings Online Forums Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: