Discussion

WeddingsOnline.ie Discussion Forums - House & Home

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline.ie discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Another Rise in Mortgage Rates!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Weddings Online Forums Forum Index -> House & Home
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sniggywig
New Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Another Rise in Mortgage Rates!

Anyone hear that there was going to be another rise in mortgage interest rates by the end of the month? I think that would be the 6th this year alone!!! Mother of God - how are we all to sleep at night?

Mini Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Saw that on the paper this morning. A few more in the first half of next year too
glittergirlrachel
Mini Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Getting yourself on a fixed rate mortgage seems to be the only way I think

Smugmarried
Mini Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject:

We have a fixed rate for the next 2 years. Reckon we made a good decision with that alright.

Royal Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Here's the link, I'm not sure how they can be 100% sure though!

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=185&si=1716859&issue_id=14839

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

One of my friends is working for a well known bank and in the mortgage section and she told me they had been told in her office that there will be at least 2 more increases next year, if not four.

It's absolutely head wrecking, Im on a fixed rate for another year but dread to think what's ahead after that.
MrsFi
Royal Wolly

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject:

I have just fixed mine as i have just moved house - they told me there will be another rise in December and then again in March 07 - think the only way to go is to fix your mortgage to be honest

Mistified
Royal Wolly

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

[quote="Johanna"]One of my friends is working for a well known bank and in the mortgage section and she told me they had been told in her office that there will be at least 2 more increases next year, if not four.

It's absolutely head wrecking, Im on a fixed rate for another year but dread to think what's ahead after that.[/quote]

That is the exact reason why fixing is unadvisable - the jump afterwards can cripple some people. At least with variable the increases are staggered.
Bride08
Mini Wolly

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject:

We have just applied for our mortgage and we are going with a fixed rate for 2 years and after that have the option of staying fixed for another 2 years or changing to variable.

The variable rate was a good bit lower but not for long with the rises.

We do want to pay a lump sum off our mortgage every year so will change to variable at some stage but it will be great to be on fixed rate for the first couple of year when we probably wont have spare cash to be paying lump sums!

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Mistified, I completely agree with you, particularly as I didnt know that you cant pay off lump sums off the capital on a fixed rate.
MrsFi
Royal Wolly

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject:

i was told that if you pay off a lump sum you can be charged a penalty of anything up to �16,000.00 as it all depends at what rate they can sell the amount on at (or something like that)

Smugmarried
Mini Wolly

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject:

I know our repayments will increase a good bit when our fixed rate term ends, but we have 2 years to prepare for it, rather than having a shock to the system every time we hear of another interest rate increase. Also, being on a fixed rate takes away the temptation to move house until at least 2008!

New Wolly

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject:

MrsFi wrote:
i was told that if you pay off a lump sum you can be charged a penalty of anything up to �16,000.00 as it all depends at what rate they can sell the amount on at (or something like that)

It depends on the mortgage, ours allows overpayments of �500 a month, we try and pay as much extra as we can and it meant after our first fixed rate finished we didn't see that huge an increase in payments and chopped a couple of years off. Its amazing what an extra �25 a month will do.
Mistified
Royal Wolly

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

When I've finished paying into my SSIA I intend to put the �254 a month against my mortgage and hopefully reduce it by a load of years!
gk
Royal Wolly

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject:

we just fixed ours at 4.85% for 5 years, I am so sick of the letters about the rate increasing. I hope we made the right decision.
       Weddings Online Forums Forum Index -> House & Home All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: