Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Vienna

Heading for a wkend to Vienna

Can any of you girls give me some tips of things to do and see

If you have been before???

any help would be great

The Avenger
Royal Wolly

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Lunch in the Central Cafe and Dinner in the Griechenbeisl. The second one is amazing - its also the oldest restaurant in Vienna. They make the best peach belinni's!

http://www.griechenbeisl.at/lang_en/page.asp/index.htm

AS THE GREAT DOLLY DORA SAYS "TAKE IT AND BLOW IT OUT YOUR ARSE SIDEWAYS"
Decemberbride
Royal Wolly

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject:

ooo ooo didnt think anyone would post!

thanks avenger! you an angel

Where did you stay? any other advice or things we should see and do please suggest

i hope it'll be snowy by then

BingoWings
Mini Wolly

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Oh lucky you - beautiful city!

If you come across a restaurant called The Goulash Muesum - eat there, its fab!

You can also take a passenger ferry along the Danube to Budapest for the day. The earlier you go the better - i think the first sailing is at about 10am

If you like fun fairs, theres a permanent one out in Prater - the giant ferris wheel is worth going on as you get good views of the city.

I'm not sure if they're open this time of year, but you can get public transport out to the edge of the city where the vineyards have their own bars/restaurants

If you fancy seeing some Opera, don't buy tickets from the people dressed up in olde worlde clothes - they're a rip off and its cheaper to buy direct from the box office.

A good way to get about is on bike - you can rent a bike from loads of locations around the city - you swipe your credit card, fill in some details on a touch screen and the bike automatically releases from its stand, when you're done with it, you just slot it back into a stand anywhere. For 1euro a day, its good value
BingoWings
Mini Wolly

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Oh and the area around Schwedenplatz is the liveliest we found at nice. Theres a very busy and lively bar called Krah Krah which was pretty good and opened later, and the bar directly opposite it (can't remember the name) served great cocktails :)
redsqurirrel
New Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Was there this time last year with my honey and its a beautiful city! Lovely romantic walks and it might be a bit early but the christmas market in front of the Town hall is magnificent!! You will get your mug of mulled wine on every corner ! We are heading to Hamburg next weekend so hope it's as nice.
Johanna
New Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Decemberbride,can't add to the information given above, just as I would have said to you. All I can add is that Vienna is my No1 favourite cities of all times, I had the most wonderful holiday there, the city is breath takingly beautiful, really clean, there are museums all over the place. Go to the cinema across from the Opera house where you can see 'The Third Man' (Orson Welles, filmed in Vienna in 1949) and you can see how Vienna looked just after the war. Go on the Praterwheel (where the main climax of the film takes place) and look at all the little messages written in the wood into it. The food is fantastic, also have a coffee with the Mozart chocolate liquer - was 6e but I can still taste it! I also went to the Sigmund Freud muesum there, its actually his house and his practice converted into a muesum, I loved it (if youre not into that, ignore it but I studied him in college and always wanted to see where he lived).

I want to go back, I might even get married there instead of Rome! Only joking but seriously, you will love it.
BingoWings
Mini Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject:

The viennese are very well dressed - I felt like a knacker in my flip flops comparison. If I go back, I'm going to make sure to bring more dressy/formal clothes
Johanna
New Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Forgot to add (just saw you asked where to stay), we stayed in the Ibis hotel, city centre (www.ibishotel.com) we usually use Ibis hotels for going away as they are reasonable but very clean and comfortable. We had an unbelievably big room for such a hotel, very quiet and the staff were very helpful. Its not the height of luxury but for that money (think it was only 50e each per night), it did very well.
Decemberbride
Royal Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

oh thanks so much everyone

all great little bits for us to take with us. Love the idea of the movie.

We are staying "in the ring" if that means something!?

Whats the shopping like girls

Ginger Nut
Royal Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject:

We spent 3 days of our honeymoon in Vienna - it was in early october and the weather was gorgeous - but there are so many lovely looking cafes and bars that you would still have a lovely time in cold weather. it is a very pretty city especially the bits in the Ringstrasse.

We weren't great at the old sightseeing (honeymoon and all that!) but We did a walking tour of the "third man" - sights and scenes from the movie as well as some really interesting history about vienna.

We found a great bar near the museum district called "red bar" or "rouge bar" (will try to check that). Actually I think i was called Rote Bar - it's in a theatre, quite mellow, all velvet drapes and jazzy/bluesy music on the stereo. Also live performances there but we didn't see any.

Shopping - shoes shoes shoes!!! there's a chain of shops called Humanic which had some FAB shoes - I got a gorgeous pair of hugo boss shoes there. I could have bought about 10 pairs!

We stayed in a hotel called Alstadt which i would really recommend.

have a fabulous time!

BingoWings
Mini Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

I'll never forget the smell of farts on the plane coming back. Urgh! If someone lit a match the thing would have exploded!

Good yeasty beer leads to very smelly plane
Decemberbride
Royal Wolly

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

lmao @ BW

thanks again for all the great advice.

printing this off now too much to miss.

cheers

Decemberbride
Royal Wolly

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject:

no edit function

Has anyone been there in Jan whats it like? do u defo get snow?

oh and any other tips or adivce welcome

beanies girl
Royal Wolly

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject:

I am so jealous. Never been there. Might try to get somewhere for a few days while h2b isnt working.

Weddings Online Forums Forum Index -> The Honeymoon All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: