Discussion

WeddingsOnline.ie Discussion Forums - House & Home

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline.ie discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Wooden Frame houses
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Weddings Online Forums Forum Index -> House & Home
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverstar
Mini Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Wooden Frame houses

Hiya
Just wondering, if any has built a wooden framed house? We were away enquiring yesterday and was all set for it and then went down and seen our mortgage broker. He said they are great houses but the only fault is if you turn off the oil heating, they cool off very quick and can be quite cold. Is this right or are they ok

BingoWings
Mini Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject:

Not sure about that - I thought they were renouned for their heat retention...

Slightly off topic, but there was a guy from Concrete Ireland on Matt Cooper (Today FM) saying that a number of wood framed houses were being broken into with hand saws... basically enterprising thieves were just sawing through the wall to get in!!!
Redfraggleathome
New Wolly

Location: Plus 900 posts from my other account which has been locked out "Schrondinger's cat"

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject:

Thats not true about the heating, I live in one and there are so warm . i use very little heating and am there 5 years!

I find it hard to believe people cutting there way into a house - surely its easier just to break a window!
That sounds to me like concrete is best propaganda IMO

BingoWings
Mini Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, it did sound like propaganda alright.

I rented timber framed semi-d a few years back, and the only issue I had with it was that the communal wall wasn't properly sound proofed. We used to turn down the TV to listen to the couple next door fighting!!
Redfraggleathome
New Wolly

Location: Plus 900 posts from my other account which has been locked out "Schrondinger's cat"

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject:

There is a bit noise i would agree but its not too bad in my house. And if you building a one off house that won't matter anyway!

wooby
Mini Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

did anyone of you have issues with noise and problems hanging pictures?

That put us off Timber Frames
Redfraggleathome
New Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject:

No problem hanging pictures - if its heavy you just need to find support beam and hang it from there

Jarashow
Mini Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject:

So not true about the heating, why do you think all of Scandinavia chose them over brick.... and believe me it gets cold over there in the Winter.

Sheila07
New Wolly

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Hi

My sister has one and it ain't true about the heating, I find it really warm. They go up far quicker then brick houses and saved her alot of money.
Baby06
Mini Wolly

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject:

BingoWings wrote:
Not sure about that - I thought they were renouned for their heat retention...

Slightly off topic, but there was a guy from Concrete Ireland on Matt Cooper (Today FM) saying that a number of wood framed houses were being broken into with hand saws... basically enterprising thieves were just sawing through the wall to get in!!!

We're almost finished building a timber frame house and outside the actual frame there's 6" blocks and outside that there's stonework about a ft thick so they must be pretty enterprising!!

On the heat issue, timber frame houses have been proven over and over again to be the most cost effective when it comes to heating - less energy required to heat it and it retains heat more effectively.

HTH
Baby

June 2007 Bride
New Wolly

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject:

I live in a timber framed house. I would tell any1 to go for it.

The heat is great in them and we don't even hear the people next door. We have no problem hang anything in it.

Your house will be finished so much quicker.

I don't know how they think they can be broken into with saws when they is blocks the whole way around

beanies girl
Royal Wolly

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject:

some people would want to find out what they are talking about, yer man hasnt a clue. Whatever issues i have with timber frame houses heating most certainly isnt one of them. Place is lovely and warm. You could get up in the morning thinking heating is on!
Dont let that turn u against them.
We bought one and hoping to build dream house in a few years but it will be block.

Dolly Dora
~WOL-Queen~

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

We built one and live in one,your mortgage broker is talking complete tosh!
They are much warmer houses because of the insulation and hold the heat in for longer.

Noise and hanging pictures not problem at all with us.
LivDec2007
Mini Wolly

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject:

we are also in a timber framed house - lovely and warm and the outter shell is block like a concrete house.

As for hanging pictures - no problem at all - there is speacial wall plugs you can buy for timer frame houses which means you can hang pictures anywhere.

Cant tell you about noise as we are a one off house on a site

Christmas B
Royal Wolly

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject:

I've no experience of living in a timber framed house but I know my friend loves her's for the heat but can hear everything in her nextdoor neighbours (terraced housing). She can hear when they flush the loo!! In fairness though I don't think this is the norm!! Maybe she just got a dodgey builder!!

Weddings Online Forums Forum Index -> House & Home All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: