Discussion

WeddingsOnline.ie Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline.ie discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

1st time using contraception advice please!!

Weddings Online Forums Forum Index -> Relationships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curious george
New Wolly

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: 1st time using contraception advice please!!

Girls, have logged on with diff name as im a bit akward about this..know i shouldnt be.
Im going to the doctor in two weeks time to ask for a prescription for the contraceptive pill as im getting married in Feb.Just wondering what kind of qts i might be asked and also what forms of contraception most of you use?Im terrifed i will put on lots of weight or break out in spots...have read some horror stories here.Thanks for your help!
Bride.
Royal Wolly

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject:

You might be asked the dates of your last AF, if there is any history of breast or cervical cancer in the family, what you weigh and whether you smoke. That's what I was asked.

It can take a while to find the right pill so you may suffer some side effects but they are usually put right after your body gets used to the artificial hormones.

Best of luck!

I'm on Yasmin by the way, haven't had any side effects at all touch wood.
curious george
New Wolly

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Bride. But what is AF??By the way do you think i should start trying pills when im getting married so soon?Would prefer not to have a honeymoon baby though.Have heard it can take up to 6 months for your body to get used to the hormones.Thanks again!
Bride.
Royal Wolly

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, AF is your period.

I would take it purely to be able to control when I have my period, i.e. not on the wedding day. If you think you may be trying to conceive shortly after getting married maybe there may be no point in starting to taking it but it's really up to you.

When are you getting married?

Last edited by Bride. on Mon Oct 23, 2021 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
curious george
New Wolly

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks Bride, getting married in February and wont be TTC during honeymoon so want some sort of contraception but hope to God i dont get all these awful side effects on the run up to the wedding.
peaseblossom
Royal Wolly

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

also they might ask if you suffer from migraines

Mistified
Royal Wolly

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject:

Don't worry about the 6 months thing. You are protected from the very first day you take the pill. Just be really strict on yourself that you don't miss any and you'll be fine.
strawberry shortcake
Royal Wolly

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject:

im on microlite and it seems to be ok. the doctor usually asks your medical history, takes your blood pressure etc.

Dolly Dora
~WOL-Queen~

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject:

If you haven't been using anything up to now-why start at all?
hunky_dorey
Mini Wolly

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Dolly Dora wrote:
If you haven't been using anything up to now-why start at all?

That's what I was thinking!!!
la novia
Mini Wolly

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject:

I agree-why start now?I HATE the pill and came off it recently.I'd advise to go with whatever you've been doin up til now!

laura899
New Wolly

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject:

i agree. dont bother with it. i had months of migraine, weight gain, irregular periods, fluid retention and mood swings trying to find one to suit. not worth it! talk to your doctor about all the other kinds of contraception. family planning clinics are very good if your GP is not.
kellyc
Major Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Im on the coil, its the best one i have ever had. So side effects what so ever!!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

is it true thst the pill lowers your sex drive i think mines none existant since i started taking it!!
nummy nicola
New Wolly

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

yeah i think it might have lowered mine a bit but i hate condoms way too much and get really awful periods when i'm off it (i tried for 6 months) so i guess it depends on your priorities.

i'm on yasmin which suits me fine but my younger sister was put on microlite recently and ever since she's been getting terrible migraines when she gets her period.

I think it takes a bit of trial and error to find which one suits you, I have been on Logynon and Microlite and neither agreed with me

Weddings Online Forums Forum Index -> Relationships All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: