Discussion

WeddingsOnline.ie Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline.ie discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Any feedback on Castle Durrow?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Weddings Online Forums Forum Index -> Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarhar101
New Wolly

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Sure, most venues I've looked at so far do blessings on their grounds. A blessing is a half hour service that you can write yourself, or take from traditional texts without mentioning God or religion in general.

I've seen the chapel in Brook Lodge and it's also on the shortlist! I still want to recreate the "church" feel without having the religion aspect. Also, didn't want to just use a hotel conference room decked out to look "bridal", just something a bit special (Brook Lodge seem to be the only venue that can offer this so far).

It never had to be a religious venue - outside would be great if it wasn't for the VERY unreliable weather! I would attach the Drawing Room picture I get from Durrow, but my technology skills are zero! :D
byrnesbabes
New Wolly

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject:

i,m getting married in castle durrow next july, i hope everything goes well as it is costing us an arm and a leg would hate to think of people being thrown out of residents bar or anyone being snooty.they are geting paid enough to stay open!
Maniemoo
New Wolly

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Was at a wedding there a few years back. The grounds are lovely but the function room was only okay IMO (although they might have changed it since then). As a few other people have said the food was indeed fantastic.

Also, am being a bit of a pedantic pat now but it's not actually a castle, it's an old country house which used to be a convent as far as I know.

I'd go for Kilkea Castle myself if you want an authentic castle feeling and better value for money, personally I don't think the extortionate prices in Castle Durrow are justified, but that's just my opinion.
pollie
Mini Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Hi girls, I got married in Castle Durrow in August of this year. I really cannot recommend the place highly enough. It was the best day of my life. The hotel staff we're fantastic and made me feel like a princess, our guests were just blown away by the place. We were so lucky to have one of the nicest days of the summer and we had a Cubian band play for our drinks recpetion at which we served strawberry daquries and champagne. I actually get a lump in my throat when I think about it. I can honestly say that Castle Durrow made our day more memorable the I ever though possible. I know it's expensive but I would recommend anyone to go for it. You will not have to worry about a thing as it will as be taken care of by the staff. I really felt it was my home for the weekend. We had no problems with the residents bar either.

sarhar101
New Wolly

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Finally going to visit, tomorrow! Can't wait. Am staying for the weekend, so we'll get a good scope of the place. I think I may fall in love with the place...
CELTICKITTEN
Mini Wolly

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject:

hi girls,

I think castle durrow is amazing but one little draw back is the function room where your wedding would be held. It is very plain and would require some inspiring accessories to bring it to the same level as the rest of the castle. Plus the day we visited, the room smelled a little damp. Other than that we absolutely loved the main castle, the bedrooms and the grounds. I would have booked it but for the function room.

Good luck, Celtic

Royal Wolly

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Another Castle Durrow fan

We went as guests a few years ago and everything was prefect. Best Irish wedding Ive been to (apart from my own of course!)

Skippy
Mini Wolly

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject:

HI Sarhar,

I am dying to hear your opinions on CD. Is your wedding in the summer o winter? You have to keep that in mind when you look at the place, but it is fabulous either way.

Also for the girls who are worried about the Residents bar - don't be! When you sign the contract they specify when the RB will close and as I said before on this post they don't deviate from that time. My time was 4am, and again.....if you haven't enough drink taken by then.......

The next time we visit home we are going to stay there as a treat!
       Weddings Online Forums Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: