WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Kerry Brides - Ballyseede Castle

Kerry Brides - Ballyseede Castle

Postby May2013 » Thu Feb 02, 2022 6:54 pm

Hi, We've booked Ballyseede Castle for our reception - May 2013. Just wondered if there are any other brides to be in the same boat or recent Wollies who may have some feedback on the venue?? Would also be delighted to receive any band/photographer recommendations!!
May2013
New Wolly

Re: Kerry Brides - Ballyseede Castle

Postby squonk » Thu Feb 02, 2022 7:27 pm

I looked at it recently, what size is your wedding? When we were there we were told it could take our 180 but it was set up for 100 and I thought it would be a tight squeeze to fit 80 more in.
squonk
Major Wolly

Postby genieinabottle » Fri Feb 03, 2022 4:51 pm

Hey. Im getting married there this July... Cant wait!! My photographer is Davitt Vaughan. His did my friends wedding and the pics are great. Google him. Roll on July :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

genieinabottle
New Wolly

Postby puddle duck » Fri Feb 03, 2022 9:38 pm

hey i am getting married there in September. :o)ll Still need a photographer so any recommendations are welcomed.
[/url]
puddle duck
New Wolly

Postby May2013 » Sun Feb 05, 2022 3:49 pm

Daffydil, I would love to have in and around 120 guests but realistically reckon it will be 140. Have seen it set up for this number and looked fine.

Genie and Puddle Duck....I'll be looking forward to hearing how you both get on...you won't feel it now. Thanks for the photographer rec...will go and do a search now!
May2013
New Wolly

Postby toto23 » Sun Feb 05, 2022 4:37 pm

hi all,
I was at my cousins wedding in the ballyseede last summer, it was fab. Really amazing venue. The food was fantastic..about 160 attended her wedding and i think that was enough. It would have been a very tight squeeze if there was anymore but maybe they use different shaped tables. Everyone had great night, only down side is there are not alot of rooms to stay in so we had to get taxi to different hotel after but thats not a mojor thing.
Enjoy all the planning.:-)
toto23
New Wolly

Postby May2013 » Fri Feb 10, 2022 11:42 pm

Thanks Toto, great to get another thumbs up for Ballyseede...we had dinner when we stayed there and the food was fantastic in the restaurant so glad to hear it seems to follow through to larger wedding parties too! Only problem is that the menu selection is so extensive and all sounds so delicious...how in God's name is one supposed to choose!!
May2013
New Wolly

Postby mirz150 » Wed Apr 11, 2022 3:39 am

Hi,
We booked Ballyseede for our wedding this coming August, we can't wait! Marnie the owner, is so accommodating and helpful. As I'm living in Sydney at the moment, it's been extra difficult organising everything from here!! I'm originally from Cork though, and I know Ballyseede Castle. We were so thrilled when we went to have a look at it last year on our hols, and saw the function room set up for a wedding. The menu we chose is amazing, and as we only have a small intimate wedding party of 70, it really is the perfect place. I can't wait for the Aussie's and Kiwi's travelling over with us, to experience a traditional Irish wedding in such an historic Castle!!
mirz150
New Wolly

Postby mrspepperpot » Tue Apr 17, 2022 8:56 am

Hi girls hope you don't mind me joining in on your thread! We are getting married in 11 weeks in Ballyseede and I cannot wait!! :lvs :lvs We went for our tasting at the weekend and it was really nice - the only negative (if you can even call it that is that) is that there were only two dishes from the wedding menu on the sunday lunchmenu so it will still be difficult to chose out courses for june - but the food itself tasted really good, the service was excellent and as usual the setting felt amazing :o)ll :o)ll
[/url]
mrspepperpot
New Wolly

Postby genieinabottle » Wed Apr 18, 2022 1:16 pm

My wedding is only two weeks after you mrs pepperpot. Haven't done a tasting yet! Have ye made any decisions yet?? What was on the menu last Sunday?
[/url]

genieinabottle
New Wolly

Postby May2013 » Fri Apr 20, 2022 9:21 pm

Was down in Kerry last weekend and called into Ballyseede with my sis to show her the venue. Met Marnie and had a look around...fell in love with the place all over again!! They were in the middle of refurbishing the Bridal suite ..putting in a free standing bath and making a few changes. Mr Higgins the new wolfhound is settling in well..al lot more energetic than poor Arthur. I think (and not entirely sure) that if you were going there for dinner you could ring and see if a couple of your choices could be put on the menu...now things like the beef wellington wouldn't work as apparantly they get cooked in long lengths so obviously wouldn't be exactly what you get. Any time we've eaten there the food has been fab! Are you going for one of the packages or customising things yourselves Genie and Mrs Pepperpot??
May2013
New Wolly

Postby mrspepperpot » Mon Apr 23, 2022 9:40 am

Hi Genieinabottle and May2013.

We havn't made the menu choices yet but we have decided to go for the 79.50 package -my uncle works in the hotel industry and he says that it is a very good package for what it offers so we are going with that - that and I wouldn't have the patience for sourcing wine, seat covers etc myself :) :)

The sunday lunch menu was lovely but of the starters none were from teh wedding menu - on the mains there was the option of the beef, the lemon sole or the ravioli (veg option). Himself had the beef and I had the veg option - I have no idea why as I am not a veggie and love fish but I have to say the ravioli was absolutely gorgeous - it really was. H2B had the beef and I had a taste - it was melt in your mouth! All that said we are looking at the steak option and maybe the sea bass , or sole or monkfish as the fish option. Hvae any of you tasted any of these?

Rory met with us before lunch - he was lovely, we felt very comfortable with him - all in all in was great - I love it nmow as much as I did when we first saw it - can't wait for the day to arrive now :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
[/url]
mrspepperpot
New Wolly

Postby May2013 » Mon Apr 30, 2022 7:15 pm

I had the baby cajun-spiced seabass fillets when we were there last Summer and it was delicious. OH ordered the Thai fishcakes as a starter and it was not what he had expected...nothing wrong with it but it wasn't crumbed and he wasn't a huge fan. Just in case you're contemplating that for starter? We're going for that package too I think...except it's E84.50 for next year...still quite good value when you think about all it includes and I love the fact that it's free pouring wine... O-O
May2013
New Wolly

Postby dreagirl73 » Sun May 13, 2022 1:48 am

Mrs. Pepperpot, what day in June are you? Ours is on the 22nd - not long now!

We are also trying to finalize our menu currently, which is a bit tricky considering we live in the States! My fiance was home a couple of weeks ago and did the Sunday lunch at Ballyseede with several of his family members. They loved everything (and since there were about seven of them there there they got to try a lot of items!) and called me after very excited about the food and venue in general. :) The one part we are still struggling with is whether to go with the seabass or stuffed sole for the main course. They only had the sole on the day they were there, and his sister LOVED it, but fiance was concerned that it might be too heavy (he said it was stuffed with salmon and prawns) since people might choose fish as a lighter option over steak which will be our other main choice.
May2013, was the seabass spicy at all? I hear "cajun" and get concerned it might not appeal to the masses. Has anyone else tried either option and could give feedback?

Here are the descriptions of each item:
• Pan fried Fillets of Baby Sea Bass Dusted with Cajun Spices, finished with a Coconut and Lemongrass Infusion
- Poached Paupiette of Lemon Sole with a Plump Tiger Prawn and Crab Mousse Coated with Lemon and Champagne Cream

Thanks!
dreagirl73
New Wolly

Postby mrspepperpot » Mon May 14, 2022 10:35 am

hI dreagirl73 - we are the 30th of June - so not too far behind ye :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll

What meat main are ye going for? I have NO idea as to which of anything to go for - we are going to head there again this week or next for lunch and hopefully we will decide then....

May2013 - 84.50 wow - I am surprised that they have put it up by E5 but I guess it is still very good value - we were v. lucky that when we booked we got the offer of bacon baps etc for our evening menu. I LOVE BAllyseede and cannot wait to go there again!
[/url]
mrspepperpot
New Wolly

Next

Return to Old Faithful