WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Movement sensor monitor or not?

Movement sensor monitor or not?

Postby markel » Sun May 13, 2022 12:09 pm

Just woundering for those of you who have baby monitor with sensor mat - was it worth getting or would I be as well off just getting a sound monitor.
Was looking at the angelcare monitor with sensor but its quite expensive

markel
Mini Wolly

Re: Movement sensor monitor or not?

Postby ructions » Sun May 13, 2022 1:08 pm

We bought the sound and movement Angelcare and never used the sensor mat. TBH I'd just go with the sound monitor.
ructions
Royal Wolly

Postby yippeeme » Sun May 13, 2022 1:19 pm

My friend has the movement Angel care mat and she thinks it's a pain. It made her more nervous and it goes off every time you lift baby out of the cot so you have to keep turning off the alarm.

Personally i'm more interested in a good video and sound monitor especially the video bit cause the man in Murphy's in rathcool said the sound tends to be good and sensitive on the monitors and small babies make a lot of noises and sounds so it helps to be able to see if they are distressed or just mooching normally in their sleep, save you having to go into the room to see if the noises are normal or not.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
yippeeme
Woloholic

Postby glauchers » Sun May 13, 2022 1:42 pm

Hi,
We got the angelcare with sensor mat, and I can honestly say that it is the best thing we bought. It gives us so much reassurance. We had 2 false alarms when he was small and I would much prefer to have that then the alternative. Even now that he is moving around from one end of the cot to the other there is never an issue. It will only alarm if it doesn't detect movement / breathing for 20 secs or more. This enables you to react quickly God forbid that should happen. Definately worth the investment.
glauchers
New Wolly

Postby Mismatch » Sun May 13, 2022 3:30 pm

One of the best buys I bought was the monitor with the sensor pad. Such peace of mind. I moved DS into his own room at around 8wks & only for this I'd have been a nervous wreak. I never have to check on him in the room before I go to bed as I know he is still breathing. Also we have had no false alarms, even when he moves around the cot it still picks up his breathing. But even if it did I would prefer that to the alternative.
Mismatch
Mini Wolly

Postby babyblabber » Sun May 13, 2022 7:10 pm

couldn't be without it, gives such peace of mind.
[/url]

[/url]
babyblabber
Woloholic

Postby Mari yay » Sun May 13, 2022 7:18 pm

I'm really really stuck in two minds about these. My first reaction was no because I thought the sensor mat was a little bit over the top. I thought it was a pity that people were putting such faith into gadgets rather than relying on parental instinct or even just having the sound monitor and going to physically check the baby if they felt they needed to.
Having said that though, I was basing that opinion on my experience of my younger sibling and babysitting where even if there was a monitor I always used to go and check on the baby by looking at them. I guess that's just what I was used to.
Have been researching this alot lately and the Angel care gets really good reviews. I also have to consider that my husband has absolutely NO experience of childminding or having babies around, so I think maybe it may be beneficial for him as I know he will be terrified bless him.
I might get it but use it at the lowest sensitivity or maybe without the mat.

Mari yay
Empress Wolly

Postby glauchers » Sun May 13, 2022 8:06 pm

It wont stop you wanting to physically check the baby, it just offers that extra reassurance. Babies who are born healthy, ie without syndrome,cardiac abnormalaties etc and who go on to suffer SIDS primarily suffer a respiratory arrest, ie they stop breathing, the subsequent lack of oxygen causes their heart to stop. If the respiratory arrest is detected quickly enough it can be treated with ventilations, provide that vital oxygen and in turn prevent a cardiac arrest. The longer a child is not breathing/without oxygen the worse the outcome will be. Im not trying to frighten anyone but this is the unfortunate reality.
Good luck with everything
glauchers
New Wolly

Postby markel » Sun May 13, 2022 8:16 pm

Tks for replies - still dont know what to do!!

My friend got the movement monitor bue ended up not using sensor mat cos they had to get chipboard to put under matress and they never got round to doing it. Is it the same with every cot?

markel
Mini Wolly

Postby glauchers » Sun May 13, 2022 8:24 pm

Didn't have to get anything for ours, sits on the slats under the mattress. Use it in travel cot when we're away as well with no bother.
glauchers
New Wolly

Postby MrsMtoB » Sun May 13, 2022 8:56 pm

I think the movement sensors are beneficial, as long as you know what to do if the alarm goes off. It's well worth doing a baby first aid course.
MrsMtoB
Mini Wolly

Postby Mrs Snuffleupagus » Mon May 14, 2022 7:14 am

I was the same before having our son, didn't like the thoughts of this movement monitor. I thought it was just another gadget but my husband wanted to get it as his mam had used it while babysitting.
To be honest now I would not be without it. Like another poster said it is about the piece of mind it gives you. It just sits on the slats of the cot under the mattress. You can use the sound only option also and you can turn down the sensitivity on the sound function itself so you aren't being woken by every shuffle.
It is one of THE baby things that we have gotten most value out of so far. Definitely worth the money......
Mrs Snuffleupagus
Princess Wolly

Postby markel » Mon May 14, 2022 9:09 pm

Tks for all the replies - I'd say we'll prob go with movement sensor.

markel
Mini Wolly

Postby WALLE » Wed May 16, 2022 7:21 pm

By far our best buy!

We got it when we moved DD out of the Moses basket and into the cot. Babies breath so lightly you can't always tell of they're breathing or not with feeling their chest or poking them to see if they move (you'll do this a lot).
The peace of mind it gives is well worth the money. We have a seperate video monitor too that we bought before DD was born and so we use that too, but you can get the angelcare movement monitors with video also. Pricey but in hindsight, cheaper than buying 2 like we did.

We got a piece of mdf to go under the matress and resting on the slats and DH drilled holes in it. It took him about 15 mins.

The alarm beeps once if baby stops breathing and then continuously after a further 5 seconds. So if you did forget to turn it off before picking baby up it's only had chance to beep once before you do switch it off.
Married 31/12/2021
DD born 03/11/2021

WALLE
Empress Wolly

Return to Pregnancy & Babies