WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Bread Making machine... my 1st disaster!

Bread Making machine... my 1st disaster!

Postby Vic Titious » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:35 pm

I went and bought one today and I'm adamant it's not going into the back of the cupboard! Two and a half hours later we have bread that looks, and smells like bread.... but it's small!
Has anyone else got one?
I have to admit I MIGHT have used the wrong flour :oops: , MIGHT have used the wrong programme, didn't bother much with chopping up the butter in tiny pieces as stated in the documentation....... and maybe I used instant yeast.... :oops:
Anyone else successful?
An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience"

Vic Titious
~WOL-Queen~

Postby Sparklymum » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:40 am

We were looking at one last week and I couldn't get over the size of the wee baking tins.... more like bundies than bread. Think I'll stick to using my hands and oven. Odlums do some good packs that are very easy to make up in different flavours, meditteranean, honey, malted.

Sparklymum
~WOL-Queen~

Postby Miss X » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:45 am

Sorry I can't help you either, I cook mine in the oven, every bread maker I looked at was very small, I got a new Jamie Oliver/tefal silicone loaf tin and its huge :shock: only have to make bread twice a week now. I use an old family receipe but when I first started making brown bread I used the oldums brown bread mix its normally with the flour and its in a big bag similiar to flour, all you do is add water, its lovely bread, might be worth giving it a shot in the bread maker. Think its only €1.20 or so for the 2kg bag.

God may have created man before woman, but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece

Miss X
Royal Wolly

Postby Mae » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:19 am

Anyone fancy posting their bread recipies, would love to make some! White or brown, doesn't matter!
Mae
Mini Wolly

Postby MaryM » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:30 am

Good idea Mae! I make the brown bread from Odlums. It's simple and very tasty but I'd love to try other (easy) recipes!

Quick Brown Bread

Ingredients:
275g/10oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal
175g/6oz Odlums Cream plain Flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Bread Soda
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar (optional)
500ml/18 fluid oz Buttermilk
1 tablespoon Oil

Method:
1. Place wholemeal in a large mixing bowl
2. Sieve in Cream flour, salt, soda and sugar (if used)
3. Add buttermilk and oil
4. Mix well
5. Transfer to a well greased 2lb loaf tin
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C, 325°F, Gas 3 for approx. 1 hour
7. Bread will be baked if base sounds hollow when tapped
8. Cool on a wire tray. For a soft crust, wrap bread in a clean tea towel

MaryM
New Wolly

Postby Miss X » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:39 am

Mine is quite similiar to the one posted, in that its almost the same ingredients but I don't know quantities, I just know how much is enough if you know what I mean...

God may have created man before woman, but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece

Miss X
Royal Wolly

Postby Mae » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:40 pm

Thanks MaryM

Will give it a shot over the weekend, feeling brave!!!

:wink:
Mae
Mini Wolly

Postby buddingmrs » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:49 pm

This is a bit off the point but any of you read Recipes for a Happy marriage? Its a great chick lit novel I read on honeymoon and there's a recipie for brown bread where she just gives directions for handfuls of this and that and thats how my granny made it too- like the granny in the book thats asked for a recipie she laughed when I asked her the weights of flour and buttermilk. If any of you ever baked with your grannies this book will have you in tears (in a nice kind of way)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

buddingmrs
Mini Wolly

Postby Bumpalicious » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:55 pm

buddingmrs,

I just finished that book! Really loved it, thought it was lovely...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Bumpalicious
Mini Wolly

Postby Mstique » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:16 pm

Does anyone have receipes for wheat freegluten free bread?

Mstique
Mini Wolly

Postby Vic Titious » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:39 pm

Thanks girls
I'm used to making bread in the normal way.... and I think those ready mixed packs are fantastic
I just fancied being able to make white bread in my new super-duper machine - I'm onto it I think!

BTW Ms tique I saw gluten free flour in Dunnes today - and all the recipes are on the pack
yours etc...
The (bad) Baker
:wink:
An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience"

Vic Titious
~WOL-Queen~

Return to Off Topic