WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

fear of dentist :( **updated**

fear of dentist :( **updated**

Postby McLisa » Wed Apr 04, 2022 9:21 am

girls i have a severe irrational fear of the dentist caused i think by a butcher of a dentist i had growing up. I haven't been in longer than i care to remember and until now i have gotten away with no problems. Woke up few days ago with swollen gum at the back and its got progressively worse, think its an abscess so needs attention asap but i know i will need a lot of other work done and the thought of going is making me panic, heart racing and bringing me out in a cold sweat. I know i am being so silly, i'm a grown woman...anyone else like this?
Last edited by McLisa on Wed Apr 11, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
McLisa
Major Wolly

Re: fear of dentist :(

Postby Bigsurprise » Wed Apr 04, 2022 9:25 am

I can recommend a really nice hygienist and dentist in South Dublin if you like. I know some people who have had bad experiences with dentists often in childhood who cant bring themselves to go back and see another one. I think once you find a good one then it takes so much of the fear away.
[/url]
Bigsurprise
Mini Wolly

Postby CarolinaMoon » Wed Apr 04, 2022 9:29 am

Here is your sister. I am so bad I once ran out. Also I got sick on a dentist once through sheer fear :-8 This was in London and they sedated me from then on.

I am now with a lovely dentist in Newry area and he is so good and nice. Always checks I am ok and gives me gas and air to make it easier for everyone :o0

Tell them you are terrified. Its the best thing to do.
[/url]
CarolinaMoon
Wolly Addict

Postby highbeam » Wed Apr 04, 2022 9:40 am

Oh God I am the exact same. I couldnt tell you the last time I was at the dentist, also had a terrible experience with a dentist in primary school. I think his sole purpose was to inflict pain on and terrify small children. And now I feel like they will kill me when I do go back. Haven't had any problems with my teeth, but I know I should go for a checkup and a clean. The money side of it is stopping me going at the minute but I really should go, I feel sick at the thoughts of it. I used to just sit in the chair with tears streaming down my face. I wasnt sure if it was better to close my eyes or leave them open so I could see what he was about to torture me with.
highbeam
Wolly Addict

Postby McLisa » Wed Apr 04, 2022 9:48 am

bit the bullet and made an appointment, i'm in the north, found one near me taking on NHS patients (a rarity) and they seemed really nice on the phone, i was actually shaking making the appointment so god knows what i'll be like at the time. Thing is cant get an appointment until this day week due to easter holidays but they just said to keep pain under control with ibuprofen and use medicated mouth wash.

glad to know i'm not alone...knew this was gonna happen sooner or later and with wedding coming up in 5 months best get it sorted now :o( :o( :o(
[/url]
McLisa
Major Wolly

Postby CarolinaMoon » Wed Apr 04, 2022 9:51 am

McLisa wrote:bit the bullet and made an appointment, i'm in the north, found one near me taking on NHS patients (a rarity) and they seemed really nice on the phone, i was actually shaking making the appointment so god knows what i'll be like at the time. Thing is cant get an appointment until this day week due to easter holidays but they just said to keep pain under control with ibuprofen and use medicated mouth wash.

glad to know i'm not alone...knew this was gonna happen sooner or later and with wedding coming up in 5 months best get it sorted now :o( :o( :o(

Good woman. Well done. It needs to be done. I am actually having lots of work done at the moment so just having to get through it.
[/url]
CarolinaMoon
Wolly Addict

Postby disney08 » Wed Apr 04, 2022 9:55 am

honestly, you are not alone in this. Finding the right dentist is key! My dentist (Dublin) these days is lovely and has the right balance of sympathy & no-nonsense. I still get upset at the thoughts of having to go, and feel physically sick at the idea, but at least I know she won't shout at me like several other dentists have over the years.

If you are truly terrified you should ask your dentist about gas & air, or sedation (also called 'twilight sleep'). I got an IV sedation not too long ago for the first time, I remember precious little of the visit and got spared myself the mental trauma of an hour in the chair. Expensive but very very worthwhile.

Hope your visit goes well for you!
[/url]
disney08
Mini Wolly

Postby lolabelle » Wed Apr 04, 2022 10:03 am

The key is finding a young dentist. In university now as part of their training they do behavioral training and patient psychology so they are far more understanding. The also use the latest technologies.

I love my dentist. I mean LOVE. He is young, kind, gentle, funny and always puts me at ease. I hadn't been to the dentist in 15 years and I was in a BAD way. The first thing he did was a root canal and girls when I tell you I didn't feel a thing I mean I didn't feel a thing. Not even the first injection of anesthetic. He is really gentle. I too was butchered by a dentist when I was younger. Now I voluntarily go to my dentist for whatever I need. I get regular checkups and have my teeth cleaned etc. No anxiety no fear. It's crucial that you like your dentist!!
lolabelle
Empress Wolly

Postby McLisa » Wed Apr 04, 2022 10:08 am

thanks so much girls, your really making me feel alot better about all this, i felt like a silly child having a fear of the dentist and didnt want to say to anyone about it as i know its really irrational but i cant describe just how it makes me feel, like panic i haven't felt before, and i know my teeth are in a bad way so hopefully i get them sorted...just not looking forward to the bill...there goes this months wedding savings :o0
[/url]
McLisa
Major Wolly

Postby vinoqueeno » Wed Apr 04, 2022 10:09 am

I'm due to go this afternoon for a check up & I still have the fear although my dentist now is so nice and gentle. Until I switched to him I didn't realise that you weren't supposed to feel a filling being done :o(

Fair play to you for biting the bullet. Hopefully after you've been once you'll find it easier to keep going.
vinoqueeno
Woloholic

Postby lolabelle » Wed Apr 04, 2022 10:14 am

vinoqueeno wrote:I'm due to go this afternoon for a check up & I still have the fear although my dentist now is so nice and gentle. Until I switched to him I didn't realise that you weren't supposed to feel a filling being done :o(

Fair play to you for biting the bullet. Hopefully after you've been once you'll find it easier to keep going.

I was the same. My dentist does fillings without anesthetic and there is zero pain.
lolabelle
Empress Wolly

Postby Flower Girl » Wed Apr 04, 2022 10:20 am

I've ended up having loads of dental work over the past year (braces, veneers, multiple fillings, root canal) and I can honestly say the only bit of it that hurt in any way was getting my teeth cleaned by the hygienist (horrible!). The rest was completely fine, their techniques have really improved over the years and it shouldn't be a painful experience for you at all.

Also, OP, if you really think it's an abscess you could maybe see about getting some antibiotics from your GP in the meantime?
Last edited by Flower Girl on Wed Apr 04, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[/url]

www.tryingtobegrownup.com
Flower Girl
Mini Wolly

Postby smiley03 » Wed Apr 04, 2022 11:43 am

Oh my god that sounds just like me and i was also butchered by a dentist a few yrs ago and the taught of having to go now is making me sick...Ive had a broken back tooth with a few months and i need them cleaned ect but havent the guts to make the make an app...ive no problem with needles or anything just the dentist...From past visits i always end up faining when i come out and feel like a right ass having to bring my mum with me and i nearly 30...Jesus i have the get myself together and make that app....Good luck with urs
[/url]
smiley03
New Wolly

Postby keepitsimple » Wed Apr 04, 2022 1:20 pm

I have a fear of dentist aswell although my fear is needles really, I have no problem with the cleaning, check up etc and go every 6 mths for this but I need a filling and I keep putting it off and they have told me it will be a bigger job if I don't do it asap but a year later and I still can't make myself book an apointment! Last time I fainted in there the dentist kinda panicked which I don't think is helping cos I'm more afraid for her sake then mine now!! She is reallly lovely but doesn't seem to cope well with me passing out on her :-8 Hope all goes well for you OP and I bet you will come out going 'what was all the worry about' I know the first time I went back after break of 15 years I couldn't believe how ok the whole experience was (apart from me keeling over when the needle goes in!!)
keepitsimple
Major Wolly

Postby McLisa » Thu Apr 05, 2022 11:41 am

Flower Girl wrote:Also, OP, if you really think it's an abscess you could maybe see about getting some antibiotics from your GP in the meantime?

Took your advice flower girl as pain was so bad and glands and neck very swollen but gp was so snooty, said it was clearly a dental problem and rules are very clear that it must be dentist who prescribes antibiotic, despite nhs advice website saying go to gp for pain relief and antibiotics if necessary in the interim. Anyway how after I kept at her she reluctantly agreed to give me antibiotic honestly I look like elephant woman today.

Still gonna go to dentist these bad boys are getting sorted once and for all!
[/url]
McLisa
Major Wolly

Next

Return to Off Topic