WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

some advice - HOME ALONE DOGS

Pets, Animal Issues...

Re: some advice - HOME ALONE DOGS

Postby SorrentoWife » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:15 pm

He's only ever been out in fine weather and lies on the grass in the sun so maybe if he was out in the rain he might take shelter in there. He's outside now and I'm upstairs (meant to be hoovering!) so might see can I peek out window without him seeing me.

Must try freezing the kongs as well, make them last longer. What kind of stuff do ye freeze in them?
SorrentoWife
Ultimate Wolly

Postby ShutterBug » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:43 am

I freeze it with extra light philadelphia in it. It makes it a bit like an ice pop so takes them longer to get it all out. My guy loves it and will carry around for a few hours till its gone. Just have to remember to do it the night before! :innocent:

ShutterBug
Royal Wolly

Postby cupcakebabe » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:52 am

SW - have to say your wee buddy sounds like such a character! :lvs :lvs

TTC Apr 2010
DH - 33, Sept 2010 SA No problems
Me - 33, Not Ovulating, Clomid 50mg Oct 10 - Feb 11
HSG Scan Feb 11 - Right Tube Blocked.
March 11 - Clomid 100mg x 3 months
Napro June 2011
Lap & Dye Aug 2011 - Right Tube Totally Blocked, Left Tube Badly Blocked.
HSG To Cannulize Tubes Sept 2011 - BOTH TUBES NOW OPEN!!!!
4.5mg LDN & 2000mg Omega 3 Daily, 7 Femara CD3, Utrogestan & Fematab Starting P&3 for 10 Days.

Bloods
Feb 2012 - P 76.36 O 396.96
March 2012 - P70.27 O 293.60

When the world says " Give up " Hope whispers "Try it one more time"
cupcakebabe
Woloholic

Postby morningsun » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:17 am

We bought a kennel when we moved to our new house in Feb. In the old house there was a shed that we left open and she had her crate and all in there so it was fine. Since we moved there is no shelter in the back garden so bought a kennel with a flap on the door to stop the wind and rain getting in. Took a couple of weeks to train her to use it though cos she would never have pushed through the doors of the house if they were a ajar – she would just stand on the other side crying till someone let her in!! so we had to train her to use the kennel and push through the flap so now she bursts through all the doors in the house if they are slightly ajar at all!!

On another note how much Philadelphia would you give? I am always scared to give cheese cos my dad would have given his dog cheese and now the dog has high cholesterol (like him!) and the vet said cheese is very fattening.
morningsun
Woloholic

Postby ShutterBug » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:48 am

I fill the kong with it. The extra light one is quite low in fat, about half a tub of phili. Am I going to be hunted out of FF now? :o0 I dont give it to him everyday or every week, I use it as a treat every couple of weeks. Other than that I put normal dog biscuits in the kong. Also I hide it somewhere in the garden, his kennel or behind a pot so that he sniffs it out himself during the day, I don't just give it to him.
I also got him the egg ball I think its mentioned on the other dogs home alone thread and he loves it. He cant get his mouth around it so has to chase it around the garden its very robust, very noisy in the house though so I leave it in the garden. But to be honest I think he pretty much sleeps a lot of the day when we're not there.

ShutterBug
Royal Wolly

Postby SorrentoWife » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:39 pm

Put him outside after I got in from work at 3 and went into sitting room to watch tv for while and when I got back into kitchen looked out into garden and he was FAST ASLEEP IN HIS KENNEL!! delighted he's using it! We had been bringing vet bed from kennel into house for last while so he can get his smell on it and feel comfortable on it when its in kennel! Result!! :o)ll
Going to my granny tomorrow in Kilkenny (will be gone from about 12 till about 6) and half thinking of leaving him outside, especially seeing as weather meant to be nice. Garden is secure, side gate locked and he can't be seen from the road.
SorrentoWife
Ultimate Wolly

Postby morningsun » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:28 pm

SorrentoWife wrote:Put him outside after I got in from work at 3 and went into sitting room to watch tv for while and when I got back into kitchen looked out into garden and he was FAST ASLEEP IN HIS KENNEL!! delighted he's using it! We had been bringing vet bed from kennel into house for last while so he can get his smell on it and feel comfortable on it when its in kennel! Result!! :o)ll
Going to my granny tomorrow in Kilkenny (will be gone from about 12 till about 6) and half thinking of leaving him outside, especially seeing as weather meant to be nice. Garden is secure, side gate locked and he can't be seen from the road.

how long has he been left before on his own outside? am just thinking that a 6hr stint if its the first time might be a bit of a shock to the system and you don't want to set him back in the progress....as you can see from previous posts I am all for leaving dogs outside during the day but just be careful that its not too much too soon??
morningsun
Woloholic

Postby SorrentoWife » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:38 pm

He can do 4 or so hours outside no bother so was thinking of leaving him out and about 4 or 5 asking my brother to come up and let him in. Or might just leave him in altogether. TBH probably will as otherwise will spend all day worrying is he ok outside! :-8 He loves being in the garden now though, especially since he and the dog next door between them knocked bit of fence through so they can sniff each other.
Tks for advice carrickb2b!
SorrentoWife
Ultimate Wolly

Postby morningsun » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:21 pm

no worries - i would definitely persist with getting him used to spending time outside especially coming into the summer but maybe just take it a bit slower.
i know our little one was afraid of kids and was just coming around and getting used to them since we moved to an estate and then this little boy started chasing her around the whole green, god love him as he was only trying to rub her but he terrified her and we were back to square one. getting there again with kids but trying to avoid that little boy which is difficult cos he loves dogs bless him!!
Last edited by morningsun on Fri Nov 18, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
morningsun
Woloholic

Postby SorrentoWife » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:55 pm

cupcakebabe wrote:SW - have to say your wee buddy sounds like such a character! :lvs :lvs

Character is one way of putting it, a cheeky brat is another!! :o0 Ah no, he's funny alright! And way to smart for us! He'll keep at something if he wants to figure it out. Just as I was typing this he was out in kitchen and all was quiet - not a good sign, usually means he's up to something. Went out to check and sure enough he was up to no good! I had drawers in kitchen tied closed with string as he can open them with his paw. Well he managed to open the knots in the string and got the drawers open! So down to Woodies or somewhere tomorrow to buy child locks for them!
SorrentoWife
Ultimate Wolly

Postby teapotty » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:59 pm

I just got my little dog the smallest kong toy- stuffed it with those meat strip snacks from maxi zoo and she's LOVING it! I gave it to her in the kitchen and she just snatched it and ran off into the back garden and has been out there ever since (about half an hour now!) trying to get the food out. It'll be great to keep her busy during the day when we're not here!
teapotty
Wolly Addict

Previous

Return to WOL Furry Friends