WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

New puppy vaccinations advice

Pets, Animal Issues...

New puppy vaccinations advice

Postby Mrs W » Fri Apr 06, 2022 9:18 pm

We got a new labrador pup yesterday and she's 8 weeks.
The breeder said she has all her injections but the last one, he's posting me on her papers and details and I'm going to keep her away from other dogs until she's had her last one.

I know I should have asked, he may have told me but I wasn't listening, is there a particular last injection? I was going to wait until I have this info to bring her to the vets.

I suppose the vet will tell me anyway but do I get her wormed every 2 weeks?

Another maybe silly question, she's scratching a lot today, is that just because of the new collar I put on her?

I'm taking her away for the weekend so I just want to make sure she's ok!
Last edited by Mrs W on Mon Apr 09, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs W
Royal Wolly

Re: New puppy vaccinations advise

Postby morningsun » Sat Apr 07, 2022 9:57 pm

hey, just seeing this now. congrats on your new puppy!
definitely keep her away from other dogs until she gets her last vaccination, the vaccination is the 8 in 1 I think but the vet will know for definite and advise you when you bring in her record book. you should have gotten the record book when you get her - what was the reason for the delay in not getting it from the breeder as the same time as the dog? if you don't get it you will need to do the full set of injections from scratch to be on the safe side.

i can't remember exactly how often you worm puppies but our dog is now wormed every 3 months as an adult.

is she scratching all over or just around her neck? take off the collar to see if she is still scratching
morningsun
Woloholic

Re: New puppy vaccinations advice

Postby Mrs W » Mon Apr 09, 2022 5:47 pm

Thanks Morningsun, we got lost on our way down to collect her so it was late when we got there so the owner was in a bit of a rush, my OH knows him though so I would trust him.

I'm going to take her to the vets wednesday anyway, shes had some blood in her poo. I've been flat out googling it though and I think its a combination of the new food and over feeding so I'm giving her smaller amounts now and I only leave it down for 20 mins and then take it away.

I'm going to be a nervous wreck with her! We went out last night and my mum had to keep texting me updates on her :compress
Mrs W
Royal Wolly

Postby morningsun » Mon Apr 09, 2022 6:54 pm

how many times a day are you feeding her? at 8 weeks old they have tiny stomachs so little and often is the way. we were feeding 4 times a day until 6 months - 8am, 12pm, 4pm and 8pm

would love to see a pic aswell!!
morningsun
Woloholic

Postby Mrs W » Mon Apr 09, 2022 8:30 pm

I'm feeding her twice a day, I might increase it to 3 so!

I can't upload a pic on the phone but I'll do it tomorrow!
Mrs W
Royal Wolly

Postby Andi C. » Tue Apr 10, 2022 8:12 am

Puppies at that age need little and often so you need to be feeding 4 times a day at the moment. You could bring it down to 3 when shes about 4/5 months then down to 2 when shes a year or more.

Please be very very careful if your pup hasnt had her last jab, she needs to be kept inside, not brought out for walks anywhere, as shes at risk of catching Parvo which can be very serious, even fatal so dont take any chances. Your back garden is fine but not outside where other dogs are.

Make sure shes wormed every month from 2 months of age til shes 6 months then every 3 months.
Andi C.
Royal Wolly

Postby MinnietheMinx » Tue Apr 10, 2022 8:38 am

Mrs W wrote:Another maybe silly question, she's scratching a lot today, is that just because of the new collar I put on her?

She might have ear mites- it's common enough in young puupies. Ask your vet to look at her ears when you bring her in for her shots. It's easily treated.
MinnietheMinx
Woloholic

Postby Mrs W » Tue Apr 10, 2022 10:04 pm

Thanks girls, we're going to the vet tomorrow and I've increased her feeds too.
Im turning into a nervous wreck with her!
Mrs W
Royal Wolly

Postby Littlebo » Tue Apr 10, 2022 10:15 pm

Mrs W,

All understandable and believe me I was on here all the time as hadn't a clue. Furry Friends really was a brilliant brilliant place for me to learn a lot ( and still am) about it all.

Blood in the poo at that age may be worms. This is exactly what happened with my bigger one when I got him at 9 weeks. I was told he had all his jabs etc except the last one and the "Breeder" even gave me food ( Pedigree Chum!!!!) so I trusted her but turned out my Dog had not got all his shots and was riddled with worms at only 9 weeks.

Don't worry the Vet can sort out everything and your Dog is very lucky to have such an owner.

Any advice you need no matter what, just post and some great owners will give you all the info you need. Enjoy your lovely new puppy, best thing I ever did.
Littlebo
Woloholic

Postby Mrs W » Wed Apr 11, 2022 11:53 am

[attachment=0]photo.JPG]
Littlebo wrote:
Blood in the poo at that age may be worms. This is exactly what happened with my bigger one when I got him at 9 weeks. I was told he had all his jabs etc except the last one and the "Breeder" even gave me food ( Pedigree Chum!!!!) so I trusted her but turned out my Dog had not got all his shots and was riddled with worms at only 9 weeks.

Poor puppy, I'm afraid something like that will happen to Bailey.

We rang the breeder this morning and he's posting me up the certs today. He says it sounds like an infection in her tummy and do bring her to the vet so I've an appt made for 5.

We've been talking about getting a dog for nearly 3 years and I kept talking myself out of it so OH just said thats it, i'm getting one even if you dont want one and I said ok!
I'm really delighted with her, I cant wait to see her when I get up in the mornings!

And here she is!
Attachments
photo.JPG (161.22 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Mrs W
Royal Wolly

Postby Mrs W » Wed Apr 11, 2022 11:55 am

And sleeping in the car
Attachments
photo (1).JPG (166.16 KiB) Viewed 621 times
Mrs W
Royal Wolly

Postby eefc » Wed Apr 11, 2022 2:11 pm

OMG Gorgeous!!

Our little puppy had the same prob as Littlebo- the wormer was mixed into the dreaded pedigree chum wet food and the dish was put down for the whole litter so my little fella didn't get any i'd say. I reported the "breeder" we got our puppy from- he convinced us the puppy was nearly 9 weeks when actually he was only 6 weeks when we got him to the Vet. I secretly think we rescued him.

Anyway - he had worms in the end and the blood in the poo was the first sign. He also had the ear mights too and kept sctratching and shaking his head for few days before we copped it. Drops for a week and it was all sorted out!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wyPWerw/]

[/url]

formally AoifC
eefc
Royal Wolly

Postby Mrs W » Thu Apr 12, 2022 4:14 pm

Well shes now on antibiotics, we're worming her and she has another bottle of stuff but I dont know what its for.
The vet thinks the new food might be irritating the infection so shes on tinned sensitive stuff for a few days. She loves it, I dont know how I'll get her back on the nuts again.

She was terribly restless and giddy last night after all her medication, she kept running and jumping at the couch. She's keeping us in crack anyway!
Mrs W
Royal Wolly

Return to WOL Furry Friends