WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

to those who gave birth without the epidural UPDATE!

Re: to those who gave birth without the epidural UPDATE!

Postby Crostini » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:25 pm

My waters broke 2 weeks before my DD. No sign of anything else happening after 18 hours so was induced. Did not want the epi because when I saw the size of the needle they use in the antinatal classes, I nearly had heart failure plus I figured I could do it myself.

Was induced with oxytocin, DS arrived in under 3 hours. Used gas and air. I won't lie girls, it hurts. I had no break between contractions once the drip started and they got going. OH really REALLY wanted me to have the epi. I felt I was doing ok but eventually I was talked around. They came down, gave it to me and then said it should take effect in a few mins. Nothing a thing happened.. Totally useless! The midwife said 'Ah yeah it happens, sometimes it has no effect'. (Moral of the story is, if you feel you can do it, go for it!)

So back to gas and air. it was fine. Yes you feel the pain, yes you are slightly out of it but to be honest you really are concentrating on the contractions and breathing through them. Totally doable without the epi. The only very difficult bit was when he was crowning and got stuck. No matter how much I pushed, he wasn't moving. They eventually had to use a vacuose (sp?), well actually 2, because the first one didn't work. The utter relief when he popped out was deeeeeeelightful! :p OH told me after I was only a few seconds away from being wheeled down for a caesarian. I must have blanked out around that stage, I do remember a load of doctors rushing into the room but don't remember anything being mentioned about a c-section!

I can honestly say when I was being wheeled out after being stitched up, I was saying, I'd go again no bother and I didn't see what all the fuss was about.

Tip for the gas and air. Take in really big breaths and try not to talk.
Crostini
Royal Wolly

Postby brightlight » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:26 pm

Wife 09
I think you were dead right for sharing your experience- women who have yet to have their babies need to be aware of worse case scenarios such as yours. We all, or most of us, have the hope of giving birth and managing with little or no pain relief but often the reality is very different through no fault or failure of our own. I am going to share my experience of having 2 births with no epidural, but neither were really by choice.

DS1 ( now 22 months) was induced and took 17 hours from that point until birth. The first 13 hours were not too bad and I did fine with pethidine and gas and air. However, I was not dilating fast enough and the midwife broke my waters at 7am . I almost immediately dilated to 9cm. From then until baby was born nearly 4 hours later I had extremely strong pushing contractions. I was left for almost 4 hours, in distress, crying out for more pain releif but being refused anything stronger than gas and air, because I was fully dilated. I ended up having to have ventuose and episiotomy, both mother and baby in distress (that is according to my notes!), baby was OP position ( I had been saying for nearly 4 hours something was wrong) and cord wrapped twice around neck. I had some pain relief for the ventuose and epis (an injection) but to be honest I could hardly see at this stage from the constant pressure of pushing.
Yes it was horrendous but I got up 40 minutes later and walked into the shower and never looked back (or tried not to). When DS1 was about 3 days old I was already thinking about the next baby. This is despite awful pain for 3 weeks after birth and my PHN referring to the consultant who delivered as 'butcher' for my awful stitching.

However, we tried ttc'ing at around 4 months and by 22 weeks I was pregnant again. Ds2 was born in November on the side of the road on the way to the hospital with no paramedics or medical staff present. Yes, ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!! Obviously not by choice but it was a much nicer experience and a very empowering experience. Obviously this time I didn't even have gas and air. I gave birth by myself (DH delivered), I followed my body, I had no one telling me what to do
-( push, don't push, breath, don't scream etc!! )- I am proud that I was able to do it and if I had the choice next time I would do it that way instead of hosp. Of course, if I had known how quickly he was to be born I would have stayed in the comfort of my home and my own bed but even so it was a great experience. This is the first time I have written about it online as I am obviously easily identifiable but a few glasses of wine tonight has loosened me up!!

If I can do it most people can do it, but please remain as open minded as you can. If you have not yet given birth it can be very painful so don't totally rule out epidural.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

[/url]
brightlight
Mini Wolly

the "spare oom"

Postby Lenovo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:39 pm

Great story brightlight & congrats!

I also gave birth without epi but not by choice, my labour started very quick - few light pains > waters breaking (only tiny bit) > giving birth, all happened within bout 3 hrs. And it was my first, only barely made it to hospital, rushed thru A&E, was fully dilated when I got there. Yes it is tough going,My contractions came hard & fast, worst bit I think is the burning sensation when pushing out head & also getting few stitches after was almost as bad as the birth cos the idiot did not give me enough to numb area. >:o(
I think I would try do it again without the epi, personally I didn't think it was too bad but everyone has different experiences.
Lenovo
New Wolly

Postby mrscat2010 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:18 pm

delivered a fine big baby without an epidural & it was just amazing. The yoga breathing & Tens got me through, plus a strong mind. Stay focused & you will
progress fine. The recovery is simply awesome! Felt brilliant afterwards & no complications thankfully.

Best of luck! Trust your body, you can do it no problem.
mrscat2010
New Wolly

Postby Chanelle » Thu Oct 20, 2021 1:44 pm

I too gave birth without the epi on both my boys. Although as another poster said it does hurt (no denying that) but it is very easily managable with the gas & air, I also found the breathing exercises to be very helpful during the contractions.

On my first ds I went into labour at around 2 in the morning, arrived at the hospital at 6.a.m and was 4cm dialated, was told that it was too late for an epidural so I soldiered on. On second ds I went into labour at 12 midnight, arrived at hospital at 1 a.m and was 8cm dialated :eek I was ready to push at that stage so again no time for interventions. The best bit is that your actually able to walk out of the ward yourself which I did on both of them. HTH for anyone who is going down this route.
[/url]

[/url]

Chanelle
Mini Wolly

Postby XcitedMum2b » Sun Jan 29, 2022 12:18 pm

Just read this whole thread and it's brilliant girls thank u all for sharing (good & bad)! I think it's best to hear it from lots of difference sides.

I too plan on having a natural birth with hopefully just g&a, as an epi scares the life outta me! BUT it really shocked me to hear on the thread that u can't get one if u have a lower back tattoo?!
Is this true?!?!

XcitedMum2b
Mini Wolly

Postby Lovemyboy » Sun Jan 29, 2022 12:25 pm

Hey xcited, that's not too about the tattoo! I asked my midwife web preg and she told me it! As I had a tattoo I was freaking out!!
Turns out I didn't have an epi anyway and so so happy I didn't, would def be open to not having one next time around!! Best of luck x
Lovemyboy
Mini Wolly

Postby Chubbums » Mon Jan 30, 2022 7:36 am

Have just read this entire thread and it gives me some hope! I too, like another couple of posters don't like the idea of being confined to the bed so don't like the idea of the epi but when I say this to girls who are already mammies they kinda just smirk and say oh wait til you're at so many centimetres and you'll be begging for one! I'm gonna try go in with an open mind and if I feel i can't handle it I may ask for an epi (or as I'm told beg for one!) but it just annoys me when people think ah sure listen to this first timer, she hasn't a clue what's ahead of her! I'm doing pregnany yoga at the mo, along with gentle birth home study program and Im hoping these will give me the techniques I need and help me remain focused an calm.

Thanks to OP and all those who gave feedback as its great to read everyones experiences. :thnk
Private Facebook group now set up for all contributors to the WOL June 2012 Babies thread, PM me if you want to join :compress

Chubbums
Major Wolly

Postby LadyGaga2010 » Thu Feb 16, 2022 12:00 am

Thanks for all the inputs to this thread. It has been great to read it all. I am not pg at moment but hoping to TTC in next few months. Will be hoping for VBAC but will not be allowed induction or epidural. Am very very anxious (already) as I would really love to have the experience of being awake, alert and mobile when I hopefully give birth again. My section was with general anaesthetic and it was a huge emergency at 26 weeks. I didn't see my baby for a few days. I have a beautiful baby girl who I love to bits but in all honesty I do not feel that I gave birth at all. That might sound strange, would love to hear from anyone else who feels like this. It is something that I get very upset about at times.

LadyGaga2010
Mini Wolly

Postby carjam4eva » Wed Mar 14, 2022 12:25 pm

Ladies I had epidural on my 1st 2 and none on my 3rd
MY 3rd was my biggest baby @ 11lb 6oz and it was my easiest labour I used the gentle birth programme while pregnant and think this help me to get up to labour/pushing stage with out anything Used gas and air at this stage then when delivering no need for anything Too focussed! Its a natural process for our bodies and you will be amazed at what you can do with such a reward when its over

Best of luck to all the pg and ttc ladies x
carjam4eva
New Wolly

Postby Cupcake666 » Wed Mar 14, 2022 2:16 pm

My first i had the epidural, i couldnt feel a thing so therefore couldnt push DD out, i ended up having to have the venthouse delivery, i was left with small cuts but no stitches thank god! i was literally in pain for about 2 weeks afterwards! on my second she wasnt waiting! when my waters broke the contractions were so bad i was brought to the delivery suite, i was 5cm. i got into the room and after the nurse put on the monoter she left the room to get the epidural, then DD decided she wasnt waiting so her head came out after TWO pushes! :eek i start panicing, OH went white! i screamed for a nurse and in cane the woman with the bed pan! to her shock she was now going to deliver my child!! :o0 yeah it was a shock but after DD was born i got up and walked to the shower, i felt fantastic and had minor after pains (the usual ones) but i would definitely reccomend trying natural birth! i had no intention of giving birth natural but DD has other plans for me! and it was the most amazing experience of my life!
Cupcake666
New Wolly

Previous

Return to Mums & Kids