WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Causes of Colic and Its Treatments

Postby shiny2010 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:59 am

this article is probably one of the best I've found for causes of the crying ... and is very useful for explaining the products available here ...

http://www.tots2teens.ie/baby/causes-of ... reatments/

Colic affects up to 30% of babies usually between three weeks and thirteen weeks of age. It affects breastfed and formula-fed babies equally. A baby with colic has spells of unexplained irritability, agitation, fussing or crying. The main symptom is non-stop inconsolable crying, without any obvious cause. Not surprisingly colic causes a great deal of stress in families.

Babies with colic often cry at around the same time of day, usually after their afternoon or evening feeds. They may bring their knees up to their chest as if in pain, become tense, go red in the face and may also be windy.

Crying is one of the ways a baby communicates that they are tired, hungry, over-stimulated or simply want to release tension. However a baby with infant colic cannot be comforted during crying episodes. Sometimes a baby with colic will writhe in pain and cry inconsolably and it is important to check there is no medical cause for this by bringing your baby to the GP. A diagnosis of colic is usually made when no other problem can be found and the baby is otherwise well and growing normally. If you suspect your baby has colic it is a good idea to take him or her to the GP for a physical examination.

Try keeping a diary of crying episodes to check for a pattern. It is also worth remembering that most people experience abdominal pain before examinations or interviews – there is little doubt that stress felt by parents or caregivers is transmitted to babies.

Causes of colic

Medical research has failed to find the exact cause of colic, but a combination of factors is likely to be responsible. It is widely thought that painful contractions of the gut due to a build-up of wind may be a cause and that the baby’s crying, drawing up of legs and so are probably due to pain. Wind may accumulate if your baby swallows air when feeding or crying. Painful gut contractions may be also be caused by cow’s milk protein intolerance or lactose intolerance. Over-stimulation is another possible cause.

Treatment of colic

There is no single correct way to deal with colic. The only one proven treatment is time. Most colicy babies outgrow the problem between 4 and 6 months of age but this is of little consolation to parents of a young baby when a half hour of inconsolable crying can seem like an eternity. It’s worth trying the following:

* Check the baby is not hungry or thirsty.
* If you are bottle-feeding try making up bottles with 1 – 2 oz more than you think the baby will drink. This will allow feeding to appetite and you will know that the baby is full when he or she stops feeding.
* If you are breastfeeding don’t switch to the second breast too quickly while the first still has milk to give. Hind milk contains more fat than fore milk. Fat slows down stomach emptying and lactose is released more slowly into the small bowel thus aiding digestion.
* Carry and gently rock the baby. Sometimes babies get bored or simply want some extra attention and a cuddle.
* Try to reduce the baby’s wind.
* Offer feeds more often
* Offer the baby a soother. There are times when a baby is not hungry but wants to suck on something for comfort and soothers can be useful. (If you are breastfeeding it is best not to offer a soother until breastfeeding has been established.)
* Place a warm face cloth or hot water bottle wrapped in a towel on the baby’s tummy (make sure the hot water bottle does not feel too hot)
* Relax the baby by giving a warm bath.
* Try gently massaging your baby’s tummy in a circular clockwise motion about an hour before you think he or she is likely to start crying – but not just after a feed. Use a baby massage oil.

Note: It is best to work through these suggestions in a sequence over a few hours or days, deciding yourself which one to try first. Bear in mind none of them may work.

Steps to reduce over-stimulation

Babies can be over-stimulated by too much loud noise, bright lights or the presence of several people at the one time. Some babies are prone to over-stimulation due to an immature central nervous system. The following measures to reduce over-stimulation may be helpful in the management of colic:

* Minimise loud household noises
* Place the baby in a dark quiet room
* Swaddling the baby by wrapping snugly in a blanket or sheet. This technique is often used in hospitals and may also be helpful if the baby is over tired or needs to feel snug. If you’re unsure how to do it ask your public health nurse or an experienced friend. Most babies like to be swaddled up until 6 weeks of age and sometimes longer. If the baby becomes agitated and fights being so tightly wrapped you will know that the time has come to stop. It is also important to make sure that the baby is not too warm.
* Try rhythmic stimulation by placing the baby near a vibrating appliance such as a tumble drier or washing machine (when not on the spin cycle!), or in a bouncy chair or make a short car journey or push the baby repeatedly forwards and backwards in the pram.

Lactase deficiency

Your baby may develop a temporary milk lactase deficiency so that the lactose in the formula or breastmilk will not be properly digested and may cause colicky pain. It is not possible to test for lactase deficiency as a cause of colic but if your baby has colic it is worth trying a low-lactose formula such as Enfamil O-Lac or SMA Lactofree or giving Colief lactase drops A trial period of 4 – 5 days is recommended. If a low lactose feed fails to reduce colic then the final option for treatment is a 1 – 2 week trial on a hypoallergenic formula such as Nutramigen (by Mead Johnson) or Cow and Gate Pepti.

Cow’s milk protein allergy

In a small number of cases colic may be caused by a cow’s milk protein allergy. This is more likely if there is a family history of allergy. Try a hypoallergenic formula such as Nutramigen (by Mead Johnson) or Cow and Gate Pepti for 1 – 2 weeks.

If the baby responds to the formula discuss with your doctor, public health nurse or dietitian how long to continue with it. Breastfeeding mothers should consider a week’s trial on a dairy-free or low-allergen diet i.e. a diet containing no cow’s milk, wheat, egg or peanuts. However removing foods from the diet significantly increases the risk of nutritional deficiencies so should only be done under medical supervision. Ideally you should obtain advice from a dietitian especially you are going to continue on a milk free diet for a number of weeks or you have to avoid more than one food type.

Dairy products are a very valuable source of calcium, protein and vitamin B12 and you will need to find alternative sources of these nutrients if you go on a dairy-free diet.

Other treatments for colic

A number of treatments for colic are available from pharmacies, including Infacol, Dentinox and gripe water. These have not been scientifically proven to help in cases of infant colic. However, some parents have found them beneficial and there is no evidence that they cause any harm.

Infacol contains the active ingredient simeticone. Simeticone is a deflatulent which helps bring up wind or air trapped in the tummy. It makes small gas bubbles join into bigger bubbles which are easier to burp. It is given before each feed and is suitable from birth onwards.

Dentinox Infant Colic Drops work in a similar way to Infacol. Unlike Infacol the drops can be added to the baby’s bottle or they can be taken from a spoon either with or after a feed. It should not be given more than six times per day. It is suitable from birth onwards.

Gripe water Alcohol free gripe water is no longer available in the Republic of Ireland but continues to be sold in the UK including Northern Ireland. It can also be bought on line from the UK website http://www.auravita.com. Gripe water contains sodium bicarbonate, which helps neutralise stomach acids, and dill seed oil, which helps dissipate trapped air. It is not suitable for infants under 4 weeks. Gripe water is given from a spoon either during or after each feed.

Herbal remedies

Some mothers have reported herbal remedies such as fennel, chamomile and balm mint drinks to be helpful. These herbs have been shown to have an anti-spasmodic activity. However, not all herbal remedies are safe and they should be used with caution.

Many people mistakenly believe that because herbal remedies are ‘natural’ they must automatically be safe. Some herbal remedies work in the same way as licensed drugs but do not have to undergo any rigorous safety checks before they are sold to the public. It is best to speak with your doctor or public health nurse before trying a new product. It is important to ensure that any herbal drinks given to babies are sugar free. Alternatively you can make your own herbal drink by adding some fennel and mint leaves to water, bring to the boil for a few minutes and strain. Offer this drink to the baby once it has cooled to lukewarm. It is best to make it up fresh each time and give no more than 30mls (1oz) twice a day.

Rest and relaxation

It is important for parents to take a break from time to time. Where possible ask friends or family to take care of your baby for brief periods to give you some time to refresh and recharge the batteries. Look for help if you have trouble coping. It can be very hard caring for a baby who cries for long spells every day.

Kindly contributed by Therese Dunne, Phyllis Farrell, Valerie Kelly – Paediatric Dietitians from Temple Street Children’s Hospital
Image Image
shiny2010
Princess Wolly

Re: Causes of Colic and Its Treatments

Postby aurora » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:28 am

great article, wish it'd been around when my fella had colic. going into a dark room and rocking him used to really help. later found out he has allergy to dairy which i didn't even know existed. fair play for posting, its a great round up of the possible causes/things to try.

aurora
Wolly Addict

Postby hipbaby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:58 am

God you should make this a sticky for all new Mams. My DD1 had terrible pains and it was put down to colic and then eventually diagnosed as cows milk protein intolerance, DD2 had pure colic and then dd3 started to show signs of it and I got the colic mixture from clonmel, best stuff worked a treat, pricely but worth it for no crying!
http://www.hipbaby.ie/

5% Discount off our Fab Organic Cotton clothing & accessories for Newborn Babies & Toddlers. (type WOl in promotional box for offer)

Adorable New Baby Gifts sent directly to recipient for you.

Join us on facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HipBaby-Ireland/117285176590?ref=sgm

hipbaby
WOL Network

Postby shiny2010 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:49 am

totally agree guys. found this on my phone late last night. DS doesn't have colic, but DD had cow's milk protein allergy ... and reflux ... so I was getting prepared as DS 3 weeks old now ... be prepared eh

thought it was absolutely amazing article and need to tell all :wv
how can ya make it a sticky?
Image Image
shiny2010
Princess Wolly

Postby Carlow09 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:38 pm

Shiny2010, Wow..Excellent info, this really needs to be made a sticky !
Carlow09
Mini Wolly

Postby aurora » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:22 pm

think you have to pm admin to get it made a sticky, haven't ever done it though.

aurora
Wolly Addict

Postby Thumbelina » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:49 pm

Great article. I still shudder whenever I think of the pure hell DS2 (and us) went through for 6 weeks. Inconsolable crying for 5-6 hours every night.
Colief & gripe water def worked for us.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
Thumbelina
Woloholic

Postby MammyC » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:53 pm

BRILl shiny!!! My dd had colic which was related to cows milk protoen intolerence and nutramigen sorted it all out for us.

Great article and good on ya for posting.

Fingers crossed your ds doesn't have any troubles. Xx
MammyC
Empress Wolly

Postby shiny2010 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:22 am

:o0 all the thanks should really go to Therese Dunne, Phyllis Farrell, Valerie Kelly – Paediatric Dietitians from Temple Street Children’s Hospital :wv

I've also pm'ed admin to ask if it can made a sticky.

found this on http://www.aafarmar.ie/:

"Feed your child well
Valerie Kelly, Phyllis Farrell, Therese Dunne

"Full of handy tips… simple, clear and easy to follow."
Irish Daily Star

New edition includes a chapter on preventing obesity

This commonsense, practical guide cuts through the maze of misleading information which bombards today's parents. Informed by the authors’ years of experience as pediatric dieticians in a major Dublin children’s hospital it provides reliable, practical and unbiased advice on everything from the basics of nutrition to shopping wisely, from dealing with food refusal to fads, allergies and anaemia. Absolutely the must-have for parents in Ireland.

"Parents will be relieved to know that there is now a new commonsense guide about children's nutrition... This book provides reliable, unbiased advice on everything from nutrition to shopping wisely, from dealing with food refusal to allergies and anaemia."
Irish Independent

"Based on the premise that good habits started at an early age will stand a child in good stead right into adulthood, this answers a growing concern about what we as a society eat and the increasing problem of obesity among the young. The authors all work as pediatric dieticians in the Children's University Hospital at Temple street in Dublin and their approach is unintimidating. Divided into fourteen chapters, it covers all aspects of feeding a child, beginning with explaining what nutrition is and following through feeding a baby, by breast and bottle, to the different options for older children including vegetarianism. The emphasis is on fresh, healthy food and the development of good habits. The book is parent-orientated and the chapters are sub-divided into sections which address particular queries or concerns. The language used is uncomplicated and jargon free and there is a glossary explaining the unavoidable technical and medical terms. In an age when a parent cannot always turn to an elder relative or neighbour for advice, this kind of book is invaluable."
Books Ireland

About the authors
Valerie Kelly is a senior paediatric dietician in Temple Street Children's Hospital Dublin

Phyllis Farrell is a senior paediatric dietician in Temple Street Children's Hospital Dublin

Therese Dunne is a senior paediatric dietician in Temple Street Children's Hospital Dublin

€ 17.99 208 pp pb
ISBN: 978-1-906353-02-5 Buy Reviews"
Image Image
shiny2010
Princess Wolly

Postby aurora » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:53 am

phn recommended that book to me - said every phn in their clinic had a copy and they recommend to everyone. they have a good chapter on allergies, i had a look through it and it looked good.

aurora
Wolly Addict

Postby shiny2010 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:30 pm

if their book is as good as their review of colic, I'd definitely be tempted to get the book :)
good to hear someone here has it
Image Image
shiny2010
Princess Wolly

Postby CestMoi » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:59 pm

Thanks for the article Shiny, I think I might try buying gripe water and see if that helps a bit. Although he isn't too bad since I was recommended only feeding from 1 side at any one feed (breastfeeding). The PHN said what your article said, that the lactose in the fore milk is what causes the wind.
Also if anyone is BF'ing and the baby is looking for a feed in an hour afterwards, give the same side again if you still have milk, this will keep giving the hind milk.
She also suggested to me, because she felt I had a good supply, that I could try pumping off some of the fore milk to reduce the amount of lactose. I haven't tried this yet, as she was making other suggestions to me for fast let down, so I'm trying these first and really don't want the bother of pumping before a feed unless I have to.

Hope this might help a little if anyone has similar bf'ing colic issues. Its great to have a sticky and get tips from others that found things that helped them.
CestMoi
Wolly Addict

Postby shiny2010 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:54 pm

you most welcome :)

CestMoi » I'm breastfeeding again and again I've a very fast letdown and oversupply (but not as bad as with DD) so I'm trying to do exactly what your PHN recommended. I've only to express in the morning so far, as I don't use one side during the night as DS was choking/gagging/etc (you know) ... but I am thinking I might also use colief drops in a syringe mixed with the some milk, ... I think in my case it is a mixture of too much fore-milk and gulping in air duirng feeding as it just too fast, so wind. So far they above is working better, he isn't throwing up as much and can control the feed better too. :wv ... haven't tried colief yet though.
Image Image
shiny2010
Princess Wolly

Postby CestMoi » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:34 pm

Oh shiny that's so interesting you seem to have the exact same thing as me. Another tip that I didn't mention but as you mentioned about the coughing / gulping etc. The phn/(lactation cons) said that my supply was probably very fast for him. I am to get him latched on in a chair and then lean backwards a bit so he has to suck to his pace rather than the milk gushing out into his mouth too quickly. This is working ok for me, but it takes a bit of practice because he likes to fuss on and off the whole time. I suppose it is colic related because the gulping is causing the wind.
He was better after his bath this evening, even though really hungry, I had given him a soother while dressing him, so his sucking needs were fulfilled before he started, he stayed on for nearly 15 minutes initially and took it nice and easy.
CestMoi
Wolly Addict

Postby neeov » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:03 pm

The lactose overload from oversupply actually cause gas to form in their gut. Its not the wind they have swallowed. Block feeding like you described really helped DD, although she did not have colic symptoms, just green poo and bad sleep.

Anyhow, I've been reading on pub med, they have found that babies who have colic have lower CCK hormone after feeding. That hormone helps to relax baby and it makes the gallbladder empty. If colic is actually gallbladder issue I feel really sorry for the babies. I get attacks and its very sore.
What helps me is heat, a hot water bottle (probably not suitable for baby, but you can get colic relief pads) and then rest. Absolutely no moving for 1 hour after the attack. Too much food brings it on.
Probably totally not the cause of the trouble but it might be worth trying if you baby as colic and you have tried everything else.

Anyhow, link about block feeding
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

And a great one about lactose overload.
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/lactose.html

[/url]

neeov
Supreme Wolly

Next

Return to Mums & Kids