WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

DD can't settle herself to sleep at bedtime

DD can't settle herself to sleep at bedtime

Postby keabea » Fri May 11, 2022 12:51 pm

Hey

My little girl is taking hours to fall asleep at night. She is in bed every night by 7.30 / 7.45. Room is dark, routine is consistent. Yet she is only actually falling asleep around 9.30/10pm I'm worried that she's not getting enough sleep as she's up every morning at 7am.

She is 19 months, and naps from 12-2 most days. She has no problem falling asleep at naptime. Anyone any tips?
Thanks
keabea
New Wolly

Re: DD can't settle herself to sleep at bedtime

Postby Perci » Fri May 11, 2022 6:45 pm

Is she very cranky in the evenings as though she's over tired or do you think she's just not tired at that time? I would feel that 9hrs sleep is too little but they're all different. If you think she's just not tired then I would try cutting down the nap length. If she's over tired (which i would imagine is more likely with 9hrs sleep) then I would actually try to put get to bed earlier. Can you let her run around for a while in the late afternoon? Fresh air and lots of exercise works wonders for zonking mine out!

Perci
Empress Wolly

Postby Mrs Poppyseed » Sat May 12, 2022 6:43 pm

9 hrs doesn't sound like a lot but combined with the 2 hr nap its 11 hrs a day which isnt that bad. Try and cut some time off her nap and see if that makes a difference. We had to cut dd1s by half an hr at that age and now its been cut 30mins 45 max, any longer and she wasn't falling asleep until 930/10pm.
Image Image

Mrs Poppyseed
Empress Wolly

Postby mamime » Sun May 13, 2022 3:29 pm

I've been having the exact same problems with my DD since she was 19months (21months now) and i thought it was coz she gave up her dodo, but other mammys seem to have the same problems at this age. We gave up the 2hour bedtime battle and have a happy dd now, giving her a 1.5hr nap in the day, which she really needs.. any less and she is kranky..from 1.30-3pm approx. sometimes she will sleep the 2hours. and then bedtime is 9pm, but this suits us fine, with summer coming in and longer evenings we have more family time. DD can still be wakeful til 10pm some nights, but one night i gave her a 8.30 bedtime after a bath got cut short coz she wanted "out" and she fell asleep by 9pm. but the next night an 8.30pm bedtime gave us a screaming girl til 10pm..she was angry at not being able to sleep.. Its really frustrating.. i don't know what advice to give you really except either cut out the nap if you want her in bed early or control her nap and give her a late 9pm bedtime. Everyones happier all round here although DD is getting considerably less sleep than her previous days, but i guess she is growing up and the world is more exciting and sleep is boring!!
It could be just a phase that might last a week or two and she might settle into a better routine again. Good luck

edit: after falling asleep at approx 9.30 she will wake around 7.30 in the morning.
mamime
New Wolly

Postby keabea » Mon May 14, 2022 7:57 am

Thanks Ladies, some good tips here.
Cut the nap to an hour yesterday, and brought her to play in the park twice yesterday afternoon & evening, and we defo got her down a bit easier last night.
I'll keep that up and go with the flow for the next few weeks and see how it goes.
Thanks again :thnk
keabea
New Wolly

Return to Mums & Kids