WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Anyone used DHEA?

Anyone used DHEA?

Postby Leaf1 » Wed Feb 22, 2022 8:37 am

Hi, I'm just looking to see if there is anyone out there who has experience of DHEA? It's been recommended that I go on it for 14 weeks before my next ivf cycle to try and improve my egg quality and response as the last 2 cycles have ended before transfer. I really just want to hear how you found it to take and did it work?
TTC #1 since April 2008. MMC in June 2009
First IVF cycle with Sims Oct/Nov 2011 - 4 follicles, 1 egg, didn't fertilise.
2nd IVF cycle started end Jan 2012, 3 eggs, 1 fertilised, transfer cancelled on the day it was due to take place.
3rd IVF cycle May 2012 with Cube in Prague. 6 eggs, 4 fertilised, 2 transferred, none frozen. BFN
4th IVF cycle July 2012 with Cube in Prague. Hope this is the one as I'm not sure I'm able to take many more of those damn steps.

To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping.

Leaf1
Mini Wolly

Re: Anyone used DHEA?

Postby sligosparkles » Wed Feb 22, 2022 3:44 pm

I've been taking it for 2 months now on the advice of dr L in Sims. Will be on it for 4 months total. No major side effects at all, maybe more tired n slightly greasier skin. Have underactive thyroid so have had bloods done n all fine so far. Like you, I respond poorly to meds. Got 1 egg first cycle which fertilised n had chemical preg. Second cycle got 6 eggs 3 fertilised 2 transferred on day 3 BFN. Am thinking cycle 3 is last go before DE so am doing all I can. Some other girls have taken DHEA n not liked it but I'm taking a kitchen sink approach this time round! Also taking royal jelly and Maca. Over on Rollercoaster site a girl called samjula took it n feels it made difference. She finally got a BFP.
Best of luck I'll let u know how it goes for me.
sligosparkles
New Wolly

Postby Leaf1 » Wed Feb 22, 2022 3:48 pm

Thanks Sligosparkles, like you I think this is going to be my last try so want to give it my all but I couldn't find much info on DHEA. Good to hear of someone else on it who's getting on ok. Hope it works out for you this time round. :lvs
2nd IVF cycle started end Jan 2012, 3 eggs, 1 fertilised, transfer cancelled on the day it was due to take place.
3rd IVF cycle May 2012 with Cube in Prague. 6 eggs, 4 fertilised, 2 transferred, none frozen. BFN
4th IVF cycle July 2012 with Cube in Prague. Hope this is the one as I'm not sure I'm able to take many more of those damn steps.

To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping.

Leaf1
Mini Wolly

Postby tinage » Sat Mar 10, 2022 12:27 am

Hi Leaf1,
I had an ivf/icsi -day 2 transfer -first time around ,last March,which resulted in a BFN >:o(
We had MFI to start with but then discovered poor egg quality.(Needed assisted hatching then.)
To help with the quality issue I started DHEA last November for my 2nd IVF-ICSI cycle having researched everything I could.
We decided to go to for a 5 day transfer this time to see if there were still quality issues.
It was a big gamble to take because we may have had nothing to transfer.
Thankfully this time we had 2 beautiful embies for 5 day transfer and I've just had my first Beta blood confirm my BFP.. :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :ooh :ooh :)
I dont know for sure if it was the DHEA that gave us better quality eggs this time because we also included several other things but I tried DHEA to get better quality embryos and I'm now glad I did.
I reallly hope you find your winning formula soon.
tinage
New Wolly

Postby OurYear » Mon Mar 12, 2022 1:47 pm

Tinage... congrats on your BFP!!! just a quick questions, we always needed assisted hatching on previous ICSI cycles. Does DHEA do something to mitigate against this?
4 No. IUI's + 3 No, ICSI's = 1 little miracle!
OurYear
Princess Wolly

Postby tinage » Mon Mar 12, 2022 10:55 pm

Hi "Our Year".
I love the name by the way. :)
Assisted hatching is often used if a thick embryo wall (zona pellucida, to be fancy) is measured or if it's particularly tough.
Also if your over 38 or if you have a high FSH level it can be recommended.
For my first ICSI cycle I was 37 years old and the embryologist said the embryo walls were thick and hard and needed AH. (Not good) :weep
This time she said there was no problem with the wall thickness-hardness of any of the embryos and much better quality, although they don't give them a rating.
I cant say for certain that it was the DHEA that gave me such a difference this time but the only other things I did different this time were accupuncture, a short protocol and intralipids to help with implantation.
The centre for human reproduction new york website has good info that helped me decide to give DHEA a try.
Sorry for not being more specific and congrats on your "1 little miracle".
Best of luck. :xox :wv
tinage
New Wolly

Postby Leaf1 » Thu Mar 15, 2022 3:15 pm

Hi Tinage, I only just saw your post now as I'd given up on getting any more replies. Congratulations on your BFP :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll & thanks for the info. I think we've decided not to go with the DHEA just yet as there just seems to be so much conflicting information about it and it seems as if it's as likely to hinder as help.

Our year, I hope this is your year :lvs

Leaf1
Mini Wolly

Postby Flossie38 » Thu Apr 12, 2022 4:27 pm

Hi Leaf, I had been watching your thread as am interested in DHEA, I bought some last year after hearing about it on various threads & thought it was gonna be a miracle cure for my old eggs, but during the wait for it to arrive from USA I was warned not to take it without getting testosterone levels checked & monitored as it can cause problems with some people. So it sat in my cupboard until last week when my consultant prescribed it in advance of moving onto IVF in 2-3 months. She's given me a prescription for 3 x 25mg per day, so my 50mg tablets are not really of use :duh: , but at least they will be checking my reaction to it and I feel happier taking it under these circumstances.

Flossie38
Mini Wolly

Postby hopeful1973 » Thu Apr 12, 2022 5:51 pm

Hey Leaf

Just saw your post. I was on DHEA before my Gennet cycle and for me, I had a great number of follicles (15) but only got 6 eggs and 4 fertilised. I was on it for 3 months before the cycle. I have to say I didn't rate it very much, don't think it helped in my case.

Having said that, I have now been prescribed it by my Napro doc as when I did the adrenal fatigue test they also tested my Dhea and I'm really low in it. He said to stop it if I get all spotty!!! I reckon it's worth another go anyway... I'll be on 25 x 3, same as Flossie (Hi Flossie :wv )

You're right not to take it though if you're not comfortable with it. I know sims do regularly prescribe it now in advance of cycles...

Hx
Me 38, DH 38
AMH 4.8 Feb 2010
IVF No. 1 Sims, Dublin: BFN 13th March 2010
IVF No. 2 Sims, Dublin: BFP 26th July, m/c 14th August 2010
Sept 2010: Chicago bloods results show elevated TNF Alpha cytokines need Humira injections. Started Humira evening 30th Sept... Chicago retest 26th October. 3.11.10: Got retest results, have only dropped to 39.4 from 42.9 (needs to be under 30) two more Humira injections taken.
IVF No. 3 January/February 2011 Gennet, Prague: OTD 5th Feb. BFN...
IVF No. 4, ARGC London. Monitored cycle Chicago bloods showed very elevated cytokines - 64! On Humira. HSG 13th May 11 shows left tube open yay! 20.6.11: Hysteroscopy, all fine. 24.6.11: Chicago retest shows cytokines down to 44. Another 2 humira prescribed. 28.7.11: Started fourth IVF cycle. Two blasts transferred 13.8.11. 23.8.11: BFN

Oct' 11: Consult with ZW clinic. Started Napro charting. 18.1.12: Appt with Dr. B. Have my Napro plan of action, come on my BFP!!!

Dec bloods: Prog: 42 Oestradiol: 606
Jan bloods: Prog: 55 Oestradiol: 386
Feb bloods (first month on napro meds): Prog:59.8 Oestradiol: 956 (cholesterol: 4.86 yay!)
March bloods: Prog: 164.4 Oestradiol: 1701 (?!) (Cholesterol 5.92 boo)
April bloods: Prog: 18.5; Oestradiol: 410.
May bloods: Prog: 90; Oestradiol: 1495; TSH: 2.1; Testosterone: 1.9; Dhea 10.
hopeful1973
Supreme Wolly

Postby lexiebaby » Thu Apr 12, 2022 9:33 pm

Hi there,

I was recommended DHEA by my clinic to help with egg quality. Dr. wants me to be on it for at lease 8 weeks before first ivf cycle in June. Am on pill too for what i think they call down regulation. Feeling a bit tired, have headaches with a week and have broken out in a few spots but don't know whether to blame pill or dhea. While I have read some conflicing reports on dhea I'm going to go on the advice of my Dr. To be honest i just want someone else to do the thinking and make decisions for me so I'm going along with whatever I'm told. Best of luck to all
TCC 2010. DH 36, ME 33 amh 3.74, fsh 20.2
1st IVF scheduled June 12
Cancelled on day 10 due to poor response

lexiebaby
New Wolly

Postby Leaf1 » Fri Apr 13, 2022 8:10 am

Flossie, It's a shame you can't use the tablets you got already but from what I read it's way better that you're going to be monitored while on it. Really hope that it works for you I you get a bfp soon.

Hopeful, I didn't realise you'd been on it before, hope it works better for you this time round as you're long overdue a bfp. Sims do seem to prescribe it regularly but only some of the drs, others won't use it at all which was what finally swung it for me. We finally decided to go to Cube for our next cycle so starting the meds when AF arrives (should be the start of May)

Lexiebaby, Best of luck with your cycle, fingers crossed it's first time lucky.

Leaf1
Mini Wolly

Postby hopeful1973 » Fri Apr 13, 2022 5:51 pm

Leaf, some of the doctors in Sims won't prescribe it? You'd think they'd all be singing from the same hymn sheet! Best of luck with your Cube cycle hon :babydust: :babydust: :babydust:

Hx
Me 38, DH 38
AMH 4.8 Feb 2010
IVF No. 1 Sims, Dublin: BFN 13th March 2010
IVF No. 2 Sims, Dublin: BFP 26th July, m/c 14th August 2010
Sept 2010: Chicago bloods results show elevated TNF Alpha cytokines need Humira injections. Started Humira evening 30th Sept... Chicago retest 26th October. 3.11.10: Got retest results, have only dropped to 39.4 from 42.9 (needs to be under 30) two more Humira injections taken.
IVF No. 3 January/February 2011 Gennet, Prague: OTD 5th Feb. BFN...
IVF No. 4, ARGC London. Monitored cycle Chicago bloods showed very elevated cytokines - 64! On Humira. HSG 13th May 11 shows left tube open yay! 20.6.11: Hysteroscopy, all fine. 24.6.11: Chicago retest shows cytokines down to 44. Another 2 humira prescribed. 28.7.11: Started fourth IVF cycle. Two blasts transferred 13.8.11. 23.8.11: BFN

Oct' 11: Consult with ZW clinic. Started Napro charting. 18.1.12: Appt with Dr. B. Have my Napro plan of action, come on my BFP!!!

Dec bloods: Prog: 42 Oestradiol: 606
Jan bloods: Prog: 55 Oestradiol: 386
Feb bloods (first month on napro meds): Prog:59.8 Oestradiol: 956 (cholesterol: 4.86 yay!)
March bloods: Prog: 164.4 Oestradiol: 1701 (?!) (Cholesterol 5.92 boo)
April bloods: Prog: 18.5; Oestradiol: 410.
May bloods: Prog: 90; Oestradiol: 1495; TSH: 2.1; Testosterone: 1.9; Dhea 10.
hopeful1973
Supreme Wolly

Postby LewLew » Mon Apr 16, 2022 6:26 pm

Hi Leaf,

Hope you are well?

We've made the decision to have one final ivf attempt. The consultant at Or*g*ns has recommended that I take it for three months & change to short protocol this time. I'm starting on it tomorrow. I've read varying reports on it but we decided to take a throw the kitchen sink at it approach with this last go so im going to give it a try (as well as a long list of other supplements!)

Good luck with the next cycle - are you changing protocol/drug dosage for the nxt one?
Me 35, DH 31 (DS almost 4)
TTC no2 since Jan 10
MC July 2010
Lap & dye Jan 11 all clear
3 iui April/May/June 11 - BFN
1st ICSI Oct 11 - BFN
2nd ICSI Feb 12 - BFN
LewLew
New Wolly

Return to TTC with Assistance