WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

What Do You Think Of This Idea??

Re: What Do You Think Of This Idea??

Postby Pitterpatter » Wed Apr 25, 2022 8:24 pm

I think it sounds really lovely - I'd love to come to that wedding!! It sounds very elegant. If it is what you want - go for it!
Pitterpatter
New Wolly

Postby FutureMrsS » Wed Apr 25, 2022 10:15 pm

Oh littlemissbusy, that's a lovely thing to say! Thanks! Check out hidden Ireland for venues. We're going with Martinstown House in Kildare. Very beautiful house, reasonable and charming people that own it and they're more than helpful!! Sounds great what you've planned!
FutureMrsS
Major Wolly

Postby micls » Thu Apr 26, 2022 2:29 am

Sounds fab, and in most countries no one would bat an eyelid!Irish people are a bit too used to wedding=meal and puddle up. Wedding means 2 people getting married and possibly a little thank you for the guests afterwards and this certainly fills that criteria. Nothing wrong with doing things differently.

As for the whinging, it will happen regardless. Please don't let it get to you. I guarantee half the whingers will be saying how great it was afterwards. Once everything is made clear to your guests in advance, you've done nothing wrong.
micls
Princess Wolly

Postby Smallpackage » Thu Apr 26, 2022 11:56 am

Futuremrsp,

Two things - can I come to your wedding and can I steal the whole idea for our day?!

It sounds absolutely wonderful and very classy.
Smallpackage
New Wolly

Postby Smileykaz » Thu Apr 26, 2022 3:01 pm

It sounds lovely, don't be worrying.

Look, I had the traditional big Irish family wedding, church, hotel, dinner, band, DJ, residents' bar, right? But if you take a step back and take an overall look, you're still having a good lot of those elements in your wedding, just in a different way.

I had a ceremony, you're having a ceremony

I invited my guests to celebrate with me, you're inviting your guests to celebrate with you.

I gave my guests something to eat, you're giving your guests something to eat

I had music/dancing, you're having music and dancing.

The timing is a bit different, and the afternoon tea is differnt to a sit down meal...but it's still food! It's still a wedding!

There's a bride and groom, food, speeches and some dancing. Sounds like a wedding to me!

It's unusual for Ireland, but unusual doesn't mean bad. It sounds absolutely lovely and like great fun.

If I got that wedding invitation and saw that it was an afternoon tea, finishing at 7pm I'd think 'Oh that's very unusual, that'll be different' and then my next thought would be 'Oooh might book somewhere nice for our dinner at 8pm then' and I'd gather a few family and friends also attending the wedding and make a bit of anight of it.

You've explained it to the parents and the in-laws now, this is what you've booked, everybody is an adult in this situation so if someone has a problem with it, you very calmly say 'Well it's booked now, so hope to see you on the 25th' and leave it at that.

The very best of luck to you and PLEASE come back and post some pics when the big day is done, I'd love to see some.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Smileykaz
Funniest & Friendliest & Best Contributor Wolly 2011

ordpress.com

Postby dumdumdidum2013 » Thu Apr 26, 2022 5:41 pm

That sounds fab!! Lovely idea I would't want to leave my own party though!

Anything not the traditional wedding will raise eyebrows with someone do what you want it's your day!
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
dumdumdidum2013
Mini Wolly

Postby FutureMrsS » Thu Apr 26, 2022 7:17 pm

Hey small package, sure you can! Be prepared for bitching and whingein though!! O:|
Oh thanks smileykaz, when you put it like that I suppose it makes sense!

Dumdidum, I really like the idea of leaving and celebrating with just my new hubby!! That's part of what I love about it actually!!

Of course I'll post up pics after Smileykaz!! I'm obsessed with looking at other peoples blogs and photos and stuff so would def put up pics for others!!!
FutureMrsS
Major Wolly

Postby Polly2011 » Thu Apr 26, 2022 7:24 pm

I love it, sounds really elegant too. Go for it! I hope that you have a fabulous day! :)
Polly2011
New Wolly

Postby FutureMrsS » Thu Apr 26, 2022 11:07 pm

Thanks Polly! We sure intend to! Just hating the negativity were getting beforehand!!Par for the course for breaking out of the "mold" that is typical weddings these days! I wuld never dream of telling someone to change plans they'd made because it isn't something I'd do myself and I guess I just expected the same courtesy!

Thick skin development in progress!
FutureMrsS
Major Wolly

Postby chattahoochee » Fri Apr 27, 2022 7:25 am

I love this idea, go for it! I don't know if it would be my style for my own but I would LOVE to go to your wedding! Your menu and that cheese cake has me drooling, please please please post a picture of the cake I would love to see it. Make your decision and stick to it and let the comments from the in laws roll off you. So long as people are informed, which you've said you'll put on the invites, its perfect. Best of Luck!
chattahoochee
New Wolly

Postby FutureMrsS » Fri Apr 27, 2022 9:25 am

Aww thanks Chattahoochee! I really hope it is nice!! :-) I think it should be alright - but my blood boils when Oh's parents start going on about it so I need to find some way of describing it that they will like/stop giving out about it while not veering too far from the truth!!!
FutureMrsS
Major Wolly

Postby Pink Martini » Fri Apr 27, 2022 1:32 pm

I love your idea! And if you are having a lot of older guests then this will suit them down to the ground! I know my mum and aunts all leave a wedding once the band and loud music start. They just want to chat and not have to shout over the top of the "racket" as they call it. And they also hate having to wait until 7pm or 8pm for food! Wish you had posted this idea earlier so I could have stolen it for my wedding :innocent:

Is it far from the afternoon tea venue to the restaurant where you and your husband will be having dinner? Have you planned on how to get there? I was thinking how nice it would be if you could hire a lovely convertible/ sports/ vintage sports car for your new husband to drive you both there! Remember at the royal wedding last year when Wills and Kate left the palace in the vintage sports car? I just imagined you two driving off like that with all your guests stood at the front steps of the house waving you off!

Pink Martini
Mini Wolly

Postby me julie » Fri Apr 27, 2022 3:14 pm

I just spotted this post and I think its lovely. It sounds really beautiful, very old world romantic and I love the idea of heading off with your oh alone. I would say my mouth was watering reading that food and no doubt I would love to be a guest. Good work I think you will look back on an incredible unique day - have no reservations its sounds fantastic. Please god youll post a wedding day report so I can have a goo :o0
me julie
Mini Wolly

Postby FutureMrsS » Fri Apr 27, 2022 11:55 pm

Oh PinkMartini! That's exactly what we're doing! Ohs godfather has a string of vintage sports cars for personal use and we're borrowing one for the day! Didn't even think of the royal wedding link (genuinely!) Til now! We do have quite a few elderly/ middle aged folk invited. We're having a big joint bachelor/bachelorette for our friends... we're quite young I guess (22/23) so we're the first of the group to get married and this prob suits our friends better.... they can have great night with us and not be worried about expensive outfits or hotels or presents etc. It means we can keep the wedding reasonably small and intimate which is what we both wanted!

The restaurant is about 25/30 min drive from venue so just enough time for wind down! ;-)

Oh thanks Julie! That is exactly - to a tee - the effect I want to achieve!! Something stylish, beautiful, a bit different with a small hint of Jane Austen thrown in for good measure!!!

I def will come back and post pics girls!! Confirmation that I'm not for the birds is definitely reassuring!!!
FutureMrsS
Major Wolly

Postby FutureMrsS » Sat Apr 28, 2022 4:46 pm

If anyone has any other ideas/inspiration, they'd be greatly appreciated!!! :-)
FutureMrsS
Major Wolly

PreviousNext

Return to Old Faithful