WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Birth Stories

Re: Birth Stories

Postby babsdel » Thu Apr 05, 2022 8:02 pm

HI all
I wanted to try and come on to give you my birth story as soon as I could as you were all so so so good to me in the end of my pregnancy. Id say I drove you all mad :lol: with all the questions and different feelings etc etc. Sorry now this is a long one!

Anyway girls as some or most of you know, I was out for a meal on Sat night 31st march and had been getting few pains and also had to go to bed before the meal which was unusual for me. Came home and went straight to bed. On Sun morn I wakened with pain at about 05.15 and when went to the bathroom I had a show!
I was thrilled, so got back into bed and the pains started to come more regular. They started at 15-20 mins apart I suppose and then continued, but they were manageable at that stage. So I left dh sleeping and then kept a count and time of all contractions I was having to make sure there was a pattern…..At 9 am I wakened dh and told him and went and had breakfast. I rang maternity then as I had another show just after nine. She advised me to stay at home as long as I could and I could ring at any stage and if I needed to go in, if pain very bad or if wanted to be checked I could go in at any stage.
So I walked the house, and gardens during contractions, my gosh they were getting strong, and as time passed they were coming every 5-8 mins….I couldn’t bare it then and went into hospital, we’re lucky as its only 5 mins up the road. I was examined when arrived and was already 3-4 cm gone, I was thrilled with myself. I was then admitted to the maternity ward. The contractions were stronger now and coming every 2-3 mins, so Id to look for pain relief. I was lucky as there was a spare room in the labour ward and I was more or less brought straight down.
I tried the gas and air but to be honest, the contractions were so strong at this stage and I was getting 3 and 4 every 10 mins I couldn’t stick it, so I asked for the epidural. I got to 5cm myself before the epidural was given and I was so proud. The anesthetist came straight away and gave me it, I couldn’t get it between contractions as they were on top of one another, but the min I got it after a puff of gas and air I could get relief. I absolutely thought it was the best thing ever. However girls, I noticed throughout my labour then I would get quite numb up high and eventually said it to the midwife, when she realised how high(breast) up I was numb I had to get the epidural turned off for half hour because it was dangerous. The next area was the heart and it shouldn’t be up that high in body. My body then went into spasms and got awful shakes, dh really felt bad for me at this stage. So just be aware of that and don’t hesitate to say it.
Anyway I got to 6cm and stayed there for about 2-3 hrs, the epi really slowed down things. I was put on the syntocin( I think that the name) drip but it drove babies heart rate too fast so had to come off of it.
However it did get me up to 8cm in matter of 30mins when on it. My little man was born then at 9.45 pm and girls it was just super.
I was pushing with all my might but gosh I wasn’t getting anywhere at all, so consultant was called and because epi was turned off for a while I could really feel the pushing as needed. So consultant had to do an episiotomy and with that then I pushed my little man out. He was 7lb 7.5oz and just perfect :lvs
He was very mucousy and had to be taken straight away and drained which took a little while but once they got him sorted we could get skin to skin and as consultant stitched me up I felt not a thing and didn’t care either.
It’s a wonderful experience and I would do it all again, just not soon :o0

Because he was so mucousy when born girls, after the first night (sun) he was getting sick when he got food and before he got food he’d be very sick also. His little tummy wasn’t able for anything really and the midwives were super with me, as I thought it was me doing it wrong, but they came and fed him with me and showed me all and he was still very sick from it. So a paediatrician came and looked at him for me and told me he is an extremely hungry baby and needs a lot of winding, so he was put on 20ml feeds every 2 hrs….The head midwife at night came into me that night and told me that she’d take Adam for me for a few hours, cause I needed to get some sleep, so I didn’t want him to go but I knew I needed strength for him for the next day, so I agreed and she took him for 4 hours, girls when he came back he was a different child, whatever she did he didn’t seem as mucousy. She checked on me through out the night with the feeds and low and behold he wasn’t sick at all after or before them.
He’s now taking 90mls and is a different baby girls, it was very tough having him so sick but we’re home since yesterday and he is just great, bit of a bad night last night as in we were up a bit but he’s been good all day and had his nurse check up and heel prick test and he is perfect, so here’s fingers crossed girls it will all continue well.

Thanks to each and every one of you again, Ill never forget how good you all were to me. :xox :xox :xox
Last edited by babsdel on Fri Apr 06, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babsdel
Wolly Addict

Postby Mumaholic » Thu Apr 05, 2022 10:26 pm

Awh what lovely birth story babsdel and fair play to you writing it up so skin after his birth!! You did so well getting to 5cm without the epi, I can imagine me screaming for itfrom the word go!!! Good to hear Adam is settling in well, it's all a learning curve when they're brand new isn't it! What weight was he?
Mumaholic
Princess Wolly

X

Postby babsdel » Fri Apr 06, 2022 1:17 pm

It is such a learning curve, this feeding time is a law upon itself :o0 I should of said that, Adam was 7lb 7.5oz and he is just perfect :lvs
Its amazing how much you think you know about babies, you dont until its your own!! :o)ll
babsdel
Wolly Addict

Postby i want one » Fri Apr 06, 2022 8:14 pm

:o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll congrats babsdel :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll

i want one
Woloholic

Postby Diamontee » Sat Apr 07, 2022 11:38 am

Awh great birth story babsdel!! Congrats :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll

[url=http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/]Image[/url

Diamontee
Major Wolly

Postby confusedmum2012 » Fri Apr 13, 2022 8:21 am

Lovely birth story babsdel, congrats hope you and little fella are doing good!

I thought I too would update with my story while its still fresh in my mind.

So previously my waters ruptured (just small leaks) at 36 weeks and I was admitted to ward, and told I'd be induced due to blood results showing signs of infection. However there were issues with beds so 3 days later was still waiting, then was told that infection had cleared and I would not be induced and would have to wait on. Was so upset! So I discharged myself (bold girl) on good friday and went home for a decent sleep and time with dd1.

On Monday I agreed to babysit for brother in law overnight, myself and dh stayed over with their 3 children and dd1, got the kids settled to bed, and I settled in the spare room. I just dozed off thinking how comfy their bed was when I heard the 'click' and felt the gush of my waters. Well I was delighted! I skipped down to dh in the living room and pointed at my belly, and he hopped up in a panic yelling 'the babys coming'! He is on crutches for an injury and it was funny watching him hopping around trying to get organised.

So we called a family member to come over to sit with the kids while we went back to hospital, but discovered we were locked in! Dh was panicking, but we found a key to the back of the house and got out that way using a small torch as its a building site out the back with no light, he was hopping over breeze blocks and pipes on his crutches :o0

I wanted to go home and pack my hospital bag, dh couldn't believe I still hadn't packed considering I'd already been in hospital the week before. I was in no hurry after the previous false alarm so I told him to take a shower while I swept the floors, emptied the dishwasher, and folded laundry! I wanted to hoover too but he insisted we go at that point as midwife had said I should go in straight away.

So we headed in and I got some contractions on the way, but they weren't too bad. I was examined and still only 2-3cm so he was told to sleep in waiting room and I stayed on the ward, puffing through a contraction every 15 mins then back to sleep. He came into ward at 8am and we shared the breakfast, then both dozed on and off through more contractions. They started getting quite strong and dh kept falling asleep instead of rubbing my back so at 10am I told him to go to the car as they were still far apart, get some sleep and come back fit for back rubbing duties. At this point they were bringing round tea and biscuits so I was helping myself, gave him a kiss goodbye. Big mistake! I was hit by a contraction before I took a bite of the biscuit and it didn't go away, just got stronger until I could barely hit the buzzer for the midwife. Up until this point I'd avoided pain relief as they wanted to do another internal examination and I was too wimpy so was holding out until I got to about 5-6 cm.

The midwife took one look at me and ran to get another midwife, they grabbed my arms and led me to the delivery suite (I was starting to push on my feet!) They asked where hubby was and I told them he'd gone for a sleep, I was so mad at him! They ran him and told him to hurry, and told me I was 10cm and ready to push! :eek I asked for pethidine and was told it's too late for pain relief just push, to which I yelled it's never too late for pain relief. At this point dh hopped back in on his crutches so fast he nearly fell over, his eyes nearly popped out at the sight before him, when he'd left I was drinking tea and now here I was delivering (well actually refusing to push :o0 ) He tried to rub my arm and I nearly grabbed his crutch and beat him with it, was a bit late for arm or back rubbing by then!

So I gave a few painful pushes, and baby girl slipped into the world, at 10.34 on tues 10th, exactly 34 mins after I'd sent dh to the car for a sleep (he thinks I tried to make him miss the birth on purpose )

She was put in premature baby ward for 48 hours on antibiotics due to risk of infection from my ruptured waters, but left home yesterday! The midwives and nurses were great and let me cuddle her and feed her up on the ward so that was good, she's a great feeder, I'm breast feeding at moment but she feeds for 2 hours at a time so not sure how long I can keep it up!

Anyway thought I'd share it as it was an amazing experience, totally different to the birth of my first child which was traumatic, this was quick and just happy all round!

Cheers to us women and the miracles that we make O-O

confusedmum2012
Mini Wolly

Postby Sposa » Fri Apr 13, 2022 1:19 pm

Lovely birth story ConfusedMum2012 with some comic (maybe not so comic at the time) moments thrown in e.g. getting locked into BIL's house.

And thank you for your reassurance about the birth of a 2nd baby. I'm just hoping this one will slip out.

Congrats to you, your DH and your DD1
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

[/url]

Sposa
Major Wolly

Postby Dot Cotton » Sun Apr 15, 2022 3:23 pm

Lovely birth stories girls! Here's mine - a bit hazy but think i have it all in there! Sorry its so long!

I was 9 days overdue when i was admitted for an induction. Had to be in CUMH for 4pm on the Wednesday but didn't get to the ward till facing 6pm cos they were so short on beds. Was given the first lot of gel at 7pm & settled down for the night. We live about an hour from the hospital so DH had arranged to stay with friends about 15 mins away which was great. Got a second lot of gel about 1am on the Thursday morning (Holy Thursday) & still nothing was happening. I gave the night tossing & turning cos i was in a 4 bed ward & there was a girl who nearly took teh roof off the house snoring O:| I dunno how many times i stopped myself from going over to belt her :o0

At about 5.30am the nurse came around to do the normal routine checks & she put on a trace on me. When she came back in to check it there was a big panic & she ran out of the ward. Next thing she was back to put in an IV & told me that baby's heart beat was dropping & i was being taken to the induction ward straight away :eek So into a wheelchair i'd to hop & was rushed downstairs. When i got down they examined me & told me to ring DH to come in which i did. When he arrived I was examined again & they decided to break my waters. The contractions started immediatly then so i put on my Gentlebirthing tracks on my phone, stuck the headphones in my ears & listened to my affirmations continuously. I was lucky enough to be beside a window so i opened it up & leaned against the window sill while puffing on teh gas & air & DH was rubbing my back :lvs I stayed there for a few hours labouring & they gave me the pethadine. Between that, the gas & air & the affirmations i was in great form. Sure the contractions were painful but i felt like i was pissed haha!! I asked the nurses if i'd have a hangover the following day & told them they should start selling the stuff in the nightclubs :yelrotflmaosmilie:

During all of this they kept an eye on the babys heartbeat & every so often it would drop so they decided to take me to the delivery suite. I think i was only about 2cm at this stage. When i got there, the fab midwife asked i'd like to take a bath (i had asked for the birthing pool but because they broke my waters i wasn't allowed use it - which i don't understand TBH when i was allowed use the bath?). Anyways into the bath i went & oh man it was AMAZING. I stayed there for about 3 hours with DH topping up the hot water & me with the headphones in my ears listening to my affirmations. The contractions were coming fast & strong by the end of this so i asked the midwife to examine me to see how far along i was & if i was far along enough i wanted the epi. She asked me a few times if i was sure i wanted the epi cos i was sooo calm (thanks to the gentlebirth) & i said yep, i might be calm but i'm also in alot of pain!! When she examined me i was 6cm so i asked for the epi to be given & i was a different woman once it kicked in! There was a tv in our delivery suite & we had it on, i even managed to watch Eastenders :o0 I was examined by the surgeon, the head midwife & the head consultant on duty that day cos of the heartbeat dropping & also the babys head was turned the wrong way. They told me that they would try me pushing for a little while & use the foreceps but if that didn't work then i'd have to have a section. So i was pushing for about 20 mins, the surgeon had to do a cut & use the foreceps but eventually she came out to us at 8.55pm. Only 55mins after Eastenders was over :o0 7lb 7ozs & the most beautiful little girl i've ever seen :lvs

I couldn't praise the staff in CUMH highly enough, i felt informed & reassured at all times. Couldn't say enough about the gentlebirth cds either. I listened to them from about 30 wks onwards & found them fantastic for helping me sleep & they kept me focused throughout the whole labour. I didn't do the w/end course just the cds & they were worth every penny.

Just can't believe she is here & i'm a mammy :compress :lvs :o)ll

Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be
-- Clementine Paddleford
Dot Cotton
Major Wolly

Postby Autumn Baby » Sun Apr 15, 2022 4:48 pm

great birth story Dot Cotton!

good to hear the gentlebirth cd's helped keep you calm. I'm almost 22 weeks so I'm going to start listening to them now.

Congrats on the birth of your little girl :o)ll

Autumn Baby
Major Wolly

Postby Dot Cotton » Sun Apr 15, 2022 9:49 pm

thanks autumn baby, i really couldn't recommend them enough both for sleep during your pg & obviously the birth aswell. I was just zoned out listening to them & obviously the gas & air worked a treat too :o0 Would do it all over again no problem :lvs

Hope you're pregnancy is going well for you :wv

-- Clementine Paddleford
Dot Cotton
Major Wolly

Postby babsdel » Sun Apr 15, 2022 10:27 pm

Great story DC well done, you did well getting to six cm too, well done. I got as far as 5 and it was plenty. 7lb 7 that was good size, same as my Adam....they are just gorgeous aren't they. Enjoy it all xxxx
babsdel
Wolly Addict

Postby BipsyBoo » Mon Apr 16, 2022 9:00 pm

Thought I'd do this now while everything is still fresh and both of my babas are sleeping!

I was due on the 15th of April but had my DS on the 10th...Here's our birth story :lvs

My parents came to stay with us last Saturday so that they'd be here to look after DD when I went into labour. My aunt was also over from the UK visiting so we had a busy few days walking around town and driving here and there. On Tuesday I had my regular Holles Street appointment at 6.30pm. Me, my mum, my aunt and my DD went into town early afternoon for a browse around the shops and went for lunch in Avoca at around 2 o'clock. I decided then that I'd ring hospital and see if they'd take be a bit earlier for my appointment as I couldn't be bothered waiting around town until that late, especially with DD. They told me to come in at 4 so all was well. I walked to Holles Street from Grafton Street and ended up waiting until after 5 before being seen anyway. I felt great, had been getting braxton hicks but nothing major and nothing painful. I'd also needed to pee more that day, as if baby was sitting on my bladder all of a sudden, but apart from that, nothing was different. I wasn't hungry at all that day though and did have a strong feeling that labour would be happening for me soon, though I didn't want to get my hopes up either.

When I went in to see the Midwife, she said that she could feel a lot of contractions and was asking about my DD's labour and I was telling her it was around 6 hours, so she said that I should get checked in the labour ward to see if anything was happening, just to be sure as 2nd labours are usually a lot shorter. She rang upstairs and up I went to admissions. They put me on a trace and did an internal and I was 'high and unfavourable'. They kept me on the trace for 30 minutes and everything was normal so they sent me home, which was totally expected by me. My DH was waiting down at reception with DD for me. By the time we left the hospital it was around 6.30 and we walked back to the car on Harcourt St, walking through Stephen's Green and throwing coins in the fountain on our way, and then drove home.

It was well after 7 by the time we got home and I put on the fish pie I'd made earlier and jumped into the shower and put my pjs on. At around 8.30pm I put DD to bed and as I was doing so I asked DH to lift her into the cot as I was getting pains. I ran the bath and put some clary sage oil and lavender in it. I lasted about 5 or 10 mins in the bath as I just wasn't feeling comfortable. I took two panadol then to see if that would ease the pain but it didn't. They seemed to come pretty quickly and were quite sore but I wasn't worried about anything by then as they'd only just started really.

I told DH that I thought we'd be going to hospital that night and he said he'd have a shower and go to the shop for some snacks for himself. He was about to do so an all of a sudden the pains were stopping me in my tracks and I couldn't get the Tens machine on quickly enough. I had to turn it up full as well. I put on my Gentlebirth tracks on iPod and it was just very full on very fast, I thought. Then I was wondering whether I was imagining it and being a bit of a baby! At around 9 o'clock I said to my DH that we should go into the hospital as they had told me to come in when contractions were 8 minutes apart and they were definitely coming at that rate, if not quicker, but they weren't agony or anything. He was a bit shocked I wanted to go there and then and to be honest I was too. So he ran downstairs to put bags in the car and tell my folks and aunt we were leaving and my waters broke upstairs. I felt huge pressure and I was so worried about getting into the hospital.

I went downstairs and said by to everyone and we went outside and all of a sudden I felt like the baby was coming right there and then. More waters gushed out and suddenly I was feeling the urge to push. My mum and dad said to call the ambulance so DH did and by then I'd gone back inside and was on the floor in the sitting room, dying afraid and trying not to push as I really didn't want to have baby at home with no medical care. DH was on the phone to ambulance crew and they asked him to check if he could see anything and he couldn't.

The ambulance finally arrived at 9.35 and we rushed into town. I was lying down in the back thinking Jesus I really don't want baby on the side of the road but they could see the head crowning. They stopped on O'Connell Bridge and decided to keep going as I really wasn't playing ball! My Gentlbirth kicked in at that point and I stopped being really afraid and I got quiet and though OK I can do this baby is almost here. We arrived in Holles Street and they had a lift waiting for us and we went straight up to delivery. It was 9.58pm and they moved me from stretcher to bed. The midwives asked if they could check me and I said yes and they said, well, as I'm sure you know, you're 10cm, so let's do this. And I was like, now?? And they said, yes, baby is ready. So I literally pushed once and the head came out. They told me to relax then and wait for next contraction and push again, which I did and the rest of him came out. "A boy!" my husband exclaims, as I lie back thinking "WTF just happened?!" It was bloody surreal! I couldn't believe I'd had my baby, but there he was, willy and all, slick and gurgling on my chest. I had a son! He latched on straight away and fed for half an hour or so, all 8lbs of him. We got home the following day, which was great.

He's a cutie, he really is, and DD seems to not want to kill him, so that's great too. I still can't believe how quickly he showed up in the end. I had to have one stitch, which was grand and I haven't been sore or needed painkillers or anything - brilliant compared to how I felt after the episiotomy last time.

So that's it! Our birth story. Well done if you got this far - twas longer than I thought it would be - almost as long as the labour!!
[/url]

[/url]
BipsyBoo
Royal Wolly

Postby Dot Cotton » Tue Apr 17, 2022 11:31 am

fantastic story bipsyboo! Congrats on your DS :o)ll

-- Clementine Paddleford
Dot Cotton
Major Wolly

Postby BipsyBoo » Tue Apr 17, 2022 6:45 pm

Thanks Dot Cotton! Congrats on your DD - you sound so loved up :lvs :lvs
[/url]

[/url]
BipsyBoo
Royal Wolly

Postby little squishy » Wed Apr 18, 2022 10:38 am

Wow Bibsy boo! What a way to go!!
Say you actually couldn't believe you were in the ambulance let alone hve your little boy that quickly!! Congrats!!

[/url]
little squishy
Mini Wolly

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Babies