WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Croatia brides thread

Re: Croatia brides thread

Postby Nells31 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 pm

Fantastic report beachy. I'm trying to view the pics on my phone as laptop broke but ill try and look at them at work
U look gorgous. Getting excited reading it. Deg must meet up.
Have loads of questions. Big congrats.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Nells31
New Wolly

Postby i dobrovnik » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:28 pm

Hi All,

I've just a question about booking flights to Dubrovnik? How far in advance did people book their flights? Is there usually sales with aer lingus or did people just go with the flights prices when they became available?
Getting married next summer and just wondering should I hold off for a bit before booking them?
Beachy your wedding sounded so amazing, making me all excited about my own even though I've a while yet to go.. :compress
i dobrovnik
New Wolly

Postby Nells31 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:33 am

Hi i do Dubrovnik..
We booked our flights in Jan/feb for Sept wedding. I think my brother booked his in Nov.
They just seemed to have gone up every week since, so i'm glad i booked them then. There double the price now!
Aer lingus seems to have 20% off sales from time to time but i think if u know your going and the dates and if u see a good price, book them then.
I think you can only book 300 days in advance (i think)

I have my hen nite this wend...looking forward to it now...its all getting close now...we will be in dubrovnik this day 4 weeks ...cant wait...

Stylefreak...did you have your hen last wend?? Hope it went well.....the count down is on!!!

Hope Nicks wedding went well yesterday!!
[/url]
Nells31
New Wolly

Postby sevenseventwelve » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:40 am

Morning all,

We've been reading this forum for the past few weeks and have gleaned many nuggets of information from posters here (especially Laura - above and beyond for the quality and handiness of the information you've posted). So a huge thank you to everybody who has helped our planning and brought us up to the stage we are at with our wedding planning.

As our username suggests we are getting married on 7/7/12 but both of are used to planning well ahead so we are looking to book everything in the first week of September. Therefore we are going over to Dubrovnik to visit churches, venues and ancillaries. We will be bring a camera and loads of questions so if you want us to investigate any of the venues you are considering please post here or PM us and we will try to help you out.

We will be visiting St Ignatius, St Blaise and St Dominic's churches. We are going to check out a boat that will ferry us from the old town to Lapad and we will also visit Revelin bar. We are going to visit Neptun hotel and Hotel Excelsior. Should we check out anywhere else?

We are meeting with Ines from Dubrovnik Events.

So any comments, advice or requests will be warmly received. We will post a recce report when we return.
sevenseventwelve
New Wolly

Postby i dobrovnik » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:23 pm

Hi seven seven twelve,

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. I did the same as you in April and we had a wonderful time, Ines was brilliant, she brought us around to different venues. The Grand Villa Argentina is right next door to the excelsior and it is really beautiful, Ines told us that the excelsior have really upped their prices and unless your heart is set on it she wouldnt advise going with it but saying that when I walked by I thought the palm terrace looked amazing I just didn't want to tease myself by having a proper look because we didn't want to spend quite as much as they we're charging..
We are using the beach terrace of the GVA and its amazing with huge tree's for shading and has views overlooking Locrum, we will have the city view for our drinks reception in the outdoor bar before the meal, music is allowed on the terrace till 1 and bar serving till 2. The east west club is only 5 minutes walk away and if we want we were told that they will book a section for us afterwards, we haven't decided that yet but its nice to have the option. Also GVA has a beautiful restaurant called victoria restaurant with views overlooking the old town, however music has to stop quite early and that wouldn't go down well with our guests. Due to our music finishing at 1 we brought our ceremony time forward to 2.30pm and not 3.30-4pm as originally suggested. This way the dinner won't go on too late and we'll have plenty of time to dance.
I actually quite liked east west as a venue in itself, the room and terrace are beautiful and bar is open till all hours but it actually wasn't available for the dates we wanted, pricewise it was excellent. We also looked at the Dubrovnik Palace, the hotel is beautiful but I wasn't so keen on the actual venue itself but saying that it was quite hard to visualise as it was really just bare rocks and very exposed but I'd say it could be some people's perfect setting so don't rule it out.
I had my heart set on St Blaise for the ceremony before we even went over, its so nice that I didn't change my mind when I got there.
We are having our wedding base in the Importanne resort, the prices are excellant for people travelling over, the terrace was lovely but I personally didn't want our reception in the same hotel as we we're staying as I knew a lot of people would be there for 3-4 days before the wedding and I did'nt want it to lose any of the magic but thats probably just me. I know of someone who's just returned and had there reception there and stayed there and they said it was amazing, they we're thoroughly happy with their choice, the beach bar till 3am is a huge plus too. Even though the guests can access the terrace before the big day it is going to look completely different on the day itself. Our final decision was between here and GVA, with east west very close behind, hopefully we made the right one :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Finally I thought the revelin bar setting was lovely for drinks after the ceremony, nice and shaded too if it gets very hot.
Anyway enjoy your trip, look forward to hearing what you decide :)
i dobrovnik
New Wolly

Postby stylefreak » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:52 pm

Hi girls, haven't been posting in a while, my countdown is truly under way, I am sooo busy and a little stressed. In the middle of ceremony booklets at the mo. I had a great hen but it seems like ages ago now!! Trying to do the honeymoon organising at the mo too, makes everything even crazier. But I am really looking forward to everything now, woooo!!! Nells are you stressed?? You are even earlier than me!
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
stylefreak
Major Wolly

Postby Nells31 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:51 pm

Hey stylefreak..Sometimes when i look at my ticker i get a bit stressed but generally i'm fine
TBH i'm very relaxed about most things...if i can get Ines to do it, i do ...and she is great.

I know some of you will think I'm nuts but i've been doing Triathlons all summer and my last one is on 2moro...so fingers crossed i wont have any bruises.
Once that is over, then next week will be finalising all wedding stuff....i think we will get a lot done then.
We were organised early in the year because we knew the summer would be busy with races, so its only last min things now.
Stylefreak...i wouldnt stress about it...ur wedding planner will have everything under control.

I think its going to be interesting packing....thats gonna be fun!!!
iIm picking up my dress next weekend and i abs love it!!!

What are you doing as regards nails for the wedding, do you know if they do Shellac over there?

I'm soooo looking forward to getting over there in the sun now..this weather is depressing...
Have a good wend all ...chat soon..
[/url]
Nells31
New Wolly

Postby Dubrovnikplease » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:37 pm

Hi ladies,

I'm recently engaged and we're thinking of a wedding in Dubrovnik (hence the name!) and would like some advice on wedding planners. There's so many of the them and we're not sure whether to use a travel agent over here to sort it or employ somebody over in Croatia and which would work out the cheapest.
If any1 can help it'd be much appreciated!
Thanks
Dubrovnikplease
New Wolly

Postby stylefreak » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:07 am

Nells31 wrote:Hey stylefreak..Sometimes when i look at my ticker i get a bit stressed but generally i'm fine
TBH i'm very relaxed about most things...if i can get Ines to do it, i do ...and she is great.

I know some of you will think I'm nuts but i've been doing Triathlons all summer and my last one is on 2moro...so fingers crossed i wont have any bruises.
Once that is over, then next week will be finalising all wedding stuff....i think we will get a lot done then.
We were organised early in the year because we knew the summer would be busy with races, so its only last min things now.
Stylefreak...i wouldnt stress about it...ur wedding planner will have everything under control.

I think its going to be interesting packing....thats gonna be fun!!!
iIm picking up my dress next weekend and i abs love it!!!

What are you doing as regards nails for the wedding, do you know if they do Shellac over there?

I'm soooo looking forward to getting over there in the sun now..this weather is depressing...
Have a good wend all ...chat soon..

Nells!! I'm so glad I remembered to post, have a fantastic day tomorow, I've been looking at the weather all week, it looks like it's going to be a beautiful day!!! You are so good for doing triathlones all summer, that must take some energy! I am nearly ready to fly now, we leave for Dub tonight1 It has been a manic few days, I am exhausted but I think everything is done. I was packing last night with a big checklist, ha! But I think I have remembered everything, hopefully anyway! I hope the Aer Lingus girls were good to you flying over with your dress? I'm a bit scared they will crumple mine into an overhead locker!I have a second suitcase that I paid to check in that is full of wedding stuff, incl 20 little dunnes lantern, any Croatian custome who xray the bag are going to think I'm some kinda gypsy coming to sell my cheap wares, ha ha! I have the favours (only got ones for girls), placecards, ceremony booklets and table plan in there too. I made them all except the favours, it was stressful but I'm so glad I did it cause I'm very proud of them and it adds a nice 'me' touch into proceedings (although I'm a bit unsure about my funky calligraphy style on the table plan, sure it will give people a laugh if nothing else! So I think I am the last bride on here for a while, wowza, I will write a detailed report when we get back, not home til Oct 11th, seems like aaages away! Good luck Nells,can't wait to read all about your day!!! :o)ll :o)ll
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
stylefreak
Major Wolly

Postby beachy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:13 pm

Congratulations Stylefreak and Nells! Imagine all this chat over the last year and a half and we're now all married!

I just saw my ticker - 2 months since my wedding - I think its high time I weaned myself off this site lol but not until I hear a report or see some photos of your big day :-)
xx
[/url]
beachy
New Wolly

Postby sevenseventwelve » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:51 pm

hi dubrovnikplease,

We met with Ines from DubrovnikEvents http://www.dubrovnikevent.com/ in Dubrovnik a few weeks ago. We are very impressed with her. Read back over the posts and you will see this written over and over by others.

There are loads of brilliant posts on this forum, from schedules, to venue reports, to menus, to dresses, to travel and bands. Reading it not only convinced us to choose Croatia, but to choose both Dubrovnik, Ines and Marin from Dubrovnik Events, our church, reception venue and ancillaries.

Planning for the wedding isn't stressful - choosing the place is!

Good luck. Any questions, just post them here.
sevenseventwelve
New Wolly

Postby sevenseventwelve » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:40 pm

So as reported above we met with Ines from Dubrovnik Events in the Importanne Resport in Babin Kuk, Lapad. The resort comprises of a 4*, a 5* and a series of villas and apartments. They all share the same swimming pools, gym, spa and restaurants. The 4* rooms are all sea facing but the 5* rooms are larger and sea facing. We didn't get a chance to visit the apartments or villas. The place is beautiful. It is west facing and the sunsets are incredible. The food is very tasty and as good as anything we had in Dubrovnik (and that's saying something!). The staff are friendly and helpful and the facilities are top notch.

We will be getting married in St Ignatius. By happy coincidence Ines had a wedding there when we were over so we got to see how it all comes together. The church is perched on top of a hill with a long flight of steps up to it but there is a gently sloping hill around the side of it in case some members of the wedding party are mobility challenged. The exterior of the church is simple with a small courtyard in front but the interior is special indeed. It is quite a contrast walking indoors.

We visited a few restaurants in the town and your guide book or locals can recommend any number of places to eat but we loved Moby Dick. It is a little off the main street and up a steep set of steps. The staff are great and the food came out promptly. Their house white is incredible. It is currently exclusive to Moby Dick but the vineyard is working hard to introduce it to the general market. Croat wines are alright and our favorite was the Zlatina (like a Pinot Grigo). The other big ones are Posip (dry) and Malvazija (strange flavour but not my pick at all). Marin is a sommelier so will not only guide you which wines to purchase but will negotiate the best wholesale prices for you too.

We took a 15 minute boat trip to Lokrum for one afternoon. You can have a B-B-Q here the day after your wedding and invite all your friends to join you there. It is a protected island with no cars. There is a lovely pool/lake in the south east corner of the island which is perfect for lounging and swimming. Or you can go swimming off the rocks. Watch out for the nudist beach unless that is your thing.

We hung out at Revelin bar for one afternoon and it is perfectly positioned for an after church drink in the shade while awaiting your boat trip to Lapad/etc. It also offers great views back to the harbour so expect your friends to spend a lot of time snapping photos.

We're off to trim the list (not a euphenism!) and prepare the invites. Good luck Dubrovnik headed B&Gs.
sevenseventwelve
New Wolly

Postby excitedFi » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:54 pm

Hi Ladies

It's been ages since I have been on here. Big congrats to all those who got married recently.

We went over for an inspection visit earlier this month and really fell in love with the place,
convinced we have made the right decision. We have booked St. ignatius and then the Palm
Terrace (Pricey but just fell in love with it)
We are trying to decide on a band now. We have been recommended Teatar.
We've just listened to their samples and to be honest think they sound like a bad 80's wedding band.
Has anyone heard them live or can anyone recommend any great wedding bands?
[/url]
excitedFi
New Wolly

Postby Miss Croatia » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:23 am

Hello Everyone!

I'm planning my wedding in Dubrovnik for July 2012. I've been talking to Kike, the wedding planner, and am getting super excited! So far it looks like we'll be having a symbolic ceremony at Sponza Palace, followed by a post-ceremony boat ride, and finally the reception at Grand Villa Argentina (Victoria Terrace). Has or does anyone have a similar itinerary? Would love to hear all about it!
Miss Croatia
New Wolly

Postby Nells31 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:55 am

Hey girls...
Im back a week now from my wedding in Dubrovnik....For anyone planning there wedding, your all in for a treat..it is such a superb place and everyone enjoyed.
It totally surpassed all our expectations...
We got married in St Ignatius church ( the most amazing church with such an ornate alter)
and after drinks in Revelin bar , then boat trip back to Neptun and then our reception in the Neptun and partied in the beach bar till about 5/6oc.

Had such a ball and would recommend it to everyone.
We had Ines and Marin from Dubrovnik Events as our wedding planners...they were superb...they make everything so simple...

I will write a report when i get some time and post it here....i know less than a year ago i was in the same boat starting to plan as a lot of you brides that are getting married next year and these reports really help making your decisions..
Good to luck to all the 2012 brides ...stylefreak ..hope everything went well for your wedding also...looking forward to hearing all about it...

Will get a report up next week....but if you have any questions give me a shout.
[/url]
Nells31
New Wolly

PreviousNext

Return to Weddings Abroad