WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

Donating breastmilk for premature/sick babies

Re: Donating breastmilk for premature/sick babies

Postby Anne Boleyn » Tue Feb 07, 2022 10:17 pm

I'm filling the bottles at the moment too- when you're ready to send them off do you get the blood test done then? Do you send off the blood sample with the milk?
Anne Boleyn
Major Wolly

Postby ChocolateChip » Wed Feb 08, 2022 1:06 pm

Hi Anne, yeah I got the blood taken the day I was going to send the milk back, then got it all packed up together & into the last post. You have to call the milk bank to let them know when you're sending the box back so they know to go pick it up first thing in the morning. Also, if you're sending blood & milk together be sure that there is a layer of newspaper or something in between so the blood doesn't freeze!

Fair play to you for donating, sure we're only great! :o)ll

ChocolateChip
Mini Wolly

Postby upyaboyaa » Thu Feb 09, 2022 7:39 pm

Daff wrote:well done! it's such a great feeling.

I got a lovely card back a few weeks ago saying my milk and blood were great and went to help two babies in neo natal. I also donated my postage to them as they're non profit so they told me they spent it on new date stamps for envelopes which was really nice of them to let me know.

Thats a super idea I wouldnt have thought of that will definately be doing that myself too.
upyaboyaa
Princess Wolly

Postby tilsun » Mon Feb 20, 2022 10:45 am

Well done ladies, such a great thing to do.Would love to try and do this.
Can I ask about the blood sample? Is this to test if the milk will be acceptable or not? if so is it possible to do the blood test before I pump and store the milk as I would hate to go to all that trouble and then find that my milk won't be used.

tilsun
Empress Wolly

Postby ChocolateChip » Tue Feb 21, 2022 3:13 pm

Hi Tilsun,

fair play to you for donating! With regard the blood, yeah the blood test is to make sure all is ok.... I'd say you could get the bloods done & send them on & wait for the results... I sent mine together & rang to make sure I could get the milk back if there were any issues... I had 100oz in the freezer that I sent to them but didn't want it to go to waste if there was an issue with my blood. The lady on the phone said that the milk remains frozen until blood test results come back. If there was an issue they would just send my milk back to me & I could use it for my dd. HTH :)

ChocolateChip
Mini Wolly

Previous

Return to Mums & Kids