WeddingsOnline Discussion Forums

Welcome to the WeddingsOnline discussion board. We do operate some Forum Rules, please click here to read through them. Also please refer to our FAQ if you have queries on how to use the boards.

What did you bake today?

Re: What did you bake today?

Postby peonybaby » Sun Jan 29, 2022 11:40 pm

Nice loaf hippy chic! I was inspired by the butternut squash muffins on this thread and googled for more veg recipes. Had a few courgettes that were starting to look a bit off so I made a courgette loaf today, got a bit burnt on top but it still tastes good:) would like to add photo but cant figure how to attach one from the iPhone
Formerly known as secretbride2be

36 yrs old ttc 1st since nov 2011
peonybaby
Mini Wolly

Postby HippyChic » Sun Jan 29, 2022 11:41 pm

Fondant fancies, I'm intrigued! You'll have to take a pic the next time you make them :)

I decided on the muffins for breakfast, at least I don't have to toast them if I'm running last for a bus!

Apple & Oatmeal Muffins
(makes 8)

2 eating apples, grated
100g sultanas
90g rolled oats
150g wholemeal flour
90g brown sugar
200ml milk
1 egg
2.5tsp baking powder
Quarter tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Put your muffin cases into your muffin tray.

2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Add the egg and milk and mix together with a wooden spoon to form a thick, wet mixture.

3. Fold in the grated apple and sultanas.

4. Using a dessertspoon, sppon even amounts of mixture into the muffin cases (takes 1.5-2 spoons per muffin).

5. Sprinkle the tops with a little extra rolled oats and pop in the oven for 25-30 minutes.

6. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
-Let's eat Grandpa
-Let's eat, Grandpa

Correct punctuation can save lives...
HippyChic
Wolly Addict

Postby HippyChic » Sun Jan 29, 2022 11:45 pm

secretb2b - I'm worse than useless wqhen it comes to technology so I'm afraid I can't help ya. I'd actually be ashamed to share the rigamarole I go through to get photos from iPhone to laptop to WOL :-8 I have a courgette loaf recipe here actually that I've never tried, courgettes are one of my least fave vegetables so hey if they work as a bread happy days, might actually find a way I can eat them then! Does it still taste courgette-y?
-Let's eat Grandpa
-Let's eat, Grandpa

Correct punctuation can save lives...
HippyChic
Wolly Addict

Postby peonybaby » Mon Jan 30, 2022 4:37 pm

Either way Im impressed hippychic, im way too lazy for the connecting of stuff, anytime anyone asks me for a pic I do a little inward groan!

To answer your question it doesnt really taste courgette-y, its certainly dense with wholemeal flour, the recipe also includes a spoon of ground nutmeg so theres a nice warmth to it. I will send the link later so you can compare recipes.

peonybaby
Mini Wolly

Postby MichelleBelle » Mon Jan 30, 2022 7:27 pm

I made Delia's profiteroles on Saturday, they were mega easy and so bloody yum!
Just as a tip, I found that I didn't need to cook them for as long as she says to, they would have burned if I had, so keep an eye on these as they're cooking.
Also, I used 70% dark chocolate and it was a little bit too bitter for Profiteroles, I ended up putting some white cholcolate on too to sweeten it up.

And I whipped some Baileys into the cream.

Oh girls, my mouth is watering now! Mmmmmmmmmmm...........

For the choux buns:
2½ oz (60 g) strong plain flour

1 level teaspoon caster sugar

2 oz (50 g) butter, cut into small pieces

2 large eggs, well beaten

For the filling:
½ pint (275 ml) double cream, whipped thick

For the chocolate sauce:
½ lb (225 g) plain chocolate

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6, 400°F (200°C)

First of all, as you are going to need to 'shoot' the flour quickly into the water and melted butter, fold a sheet of baking parchment (silicone paper) to make a crease, then open it up again. Sift the flour straight on to the square of parchment and add the sugar.

Next, put 5 fl oz (150 ml) of cold water in a medium-sized saucepan together with the pieces of butter, then place the saucepan over a moderate heat and stir with a wooden spoon. As soon as the butter has melted and the mixture comes up to the boil, turn off the heat immediately, as too much boiling will evaporate some of the water. Then tip in the flour – all in one go – with one hand, while you beat the mixture vigorously with the other. You can do this with a wooden spoon, although an electric hand whisk will save you lots of energy.

Beat until you have a smooth ball of paste that has left the sides of the saucepan clean – this will probably take less than a minute. Then beat in the beaten eggs – a little at a time, mixing in each addition thoroughly before adding the next – until you have a smooth, glossy paste.

At this stage, hold the greased baking sheet under cold running water for a few seconds, and tap it sharply to get rid of excess moisture. This will help create a steamier atmosphere, which in turn helps the pastry to rise.
To make the choux buns, place teaspoonfuls of choux paste on the baking sheet, leaving 1 inch (2.5 cm) between them, and bake on a high shelf in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes. After that, increase the heat to gas mark 7, 425°F (220°C) and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until the choux buns are crisp, light and a rich golden colour. Pierce the side of each one to let out the steam, then cool them on a wire rack.

To make the chocolate sauce, melt the chocolate, together with three tablespoons of water, in a basin fitted over a saucepan of simmering water (being careful that the base of the bowl does not touch the water), stirring until you have a smooth sauce (see How to melt chocolate). Just before serving, split the choux buns in half, fill each one with a teaspoonful of whipped cream, then join the halves together again. Pour the melted chocolate over them (see the photograph) and serve immediately.

Note: don’t be tempted to put the cream in too far in advance because this tends to make them soggy.
Formally MichelleMyBelle!
MichelleBelle
Mini Wolly

Postby Autumn Baby » Mon Jan 30, 2022 8:23 pm

those pictures are phenomenal and i'm sooooo hungry now!

will definitely be doing some baking this friday!

Autumn Baby
Major Wolly

Postby mrs mammy » Mon Jan 30, 2022 9:09 pm

Myself and ds made cupcakes with chocolate chunks, boring but I needed a simple recipe for a toddler, no time for reading long winded recipes!
mrs mammy
Royal Wolly

Postby LastRolo » Mon Jan 30, 2022 9:16 pm

I haven't even gone through the three pages of this thread but I'm off work this week so I'm gonna do a little baking, as well as a little spring clean thanks to another WOL thread. I'll be busier this week on my week off than I normally be at work! :o0
LastRolo
Ultimate Wolly

Postby peonybaby » Mon Jan 30, 2022 10:02 pm

wol is pretty inspirational, even got me baking again!

peonybaby
Mini Wolly

Postby bondijunction » Mon Jan 30, 2022 11:24 pm

Ohh that coffee cake looks fab, I have two birthday cakes to do this weekend so gonna do that coffee cake and a choc bsicuit cake with malteasers :o)ll god I love baking :)

One of the birthday cakes is for my brother, last year I done him a jersey cake...stressful! Sticking to easier icing this year!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
bondijunction
Mini Wolly

Postby primrosepink » Tue Jan 31, 2022 10:08 pm

Mint aero tray bake.....sounds yummie!! :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

Can I have the recipe pretty please????? :)

primrosepink
New Wolly

Postby belcra » Tue Jan 31, 2022 10:19 pm

Just watching How To Bake Like Heston and he's making the most amazing looking Chocolate Exploding Cake. Here's the recipe for anybody not on diets out there. I wud eat the lot so can't bake at the moment. :o(

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/c ... eau-recipe

Anyone know where you can get popping candy by the way? Is it an easy thing to find?
belcra
Major Wolly

Postby peonybaby » Tue Jan 31, 2022 11:55 pm

oh drool! i think those little cheapie sweet shops should sell it, the childhood memories are flooding back :)

peonybaby
Mini Wolly

Postby tinyfeet » Wed Feb 01, 2022 11:45 am

Hey, that's weird my Rolo Cookie & Peanut butter & choc chip cookie recipes have disappeared..... :o( :o(

Previously Kindanervous!
tinyfeet
Empress Wolly

Postby SunnyK » Wed Feb 01, 2022 11:47 am

tinyfeet wrote:Hey, that's weird my Rolo Cookie & Peanut butter & choc chip cookie recipes have disappeared..... :o( :o(

Weird!! Good thing I printed off the Rolo one before it went AWOL :o0
SunnyK
Woloholic

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic